User Names

I'm often curious as to why other forum members chose their user names. Mine, for example, came from my old school called St Elphin's.

Lots of us with Finn-related names, but is there a story behind your name or are you are a girl with a masculine name or the other way round? Do you have more than one identity on the forum?

My personal favourites among current regular contributers are Mr Sadly & Patty O'Furniture.
Original Post
My name is my first name - I don't think I've ever been anything but my own name here. I've resisted some loftier titles because in many ways, I don't believe in people using the internet to build them into something they're not, or using it to create some false hierarchy that wouldn't ring true in real life. I don't believe in the whole "anonymous on the internet" thing. I think the more "real" people are, and the more they feel that they're representing themselves on a public forum rather than some alter ego, the more you get honest, great communication, and the more people only say what they'd say to someone's face.

Sorry to take it off track - But that's why I picked my name. It is my name Smiler

Also - I think most people here only have the one user ID. I think that's down to the rules of the place Smiler
quote:
But that's why I picked my name. It is my name


And it is a beautiful name too. But can you please tell us how to pronounce it? Wink

I am with Iarla. My username is my real name, and I rather like it. But I have to admit that a lot of Frenz have very creative usernames, and maybe if I were a little more creative I might have chosen a different one. I used to be on a completely different forum, and my username had already been taken. So I just put an 'e' in front of it, ( 'e' for email) and I was esuzanne. So you see what I mean by not being creative. Roll Eyes

It always feels kinda funny to me addressing people by their username when I know them in 'real' life as well. Like my good friend Demon in Lipstick. Although I do find this one of the most creative usernames.

I just like to be me. Cool
In this case anyway. Sometimes I really wish that somebody else was me, or that I was somebody else, but that is a completely different subject. Smiler


------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by suzanne:
quote:
But that's why I picked my name. It is my name


And it is a beautiful name too. But can you please tell us how to pronounce it? Wink

I am with Iarla. My username is my real name, and I rather like it. But I have to admit that a lot of Frenz have very creative usernames, and maybe if I were a little more creative I might have chosen a different one. I used to be on a completely different forum, and my username had already been taken. So I just put an 'e' in front of it, ( 'e' for email) and I was esuzanne. So you see what I mean by not being creative. Roll Eyes

It always feels kinda funny to me addressing people by their username when I know them in 'real' life as well. Like my good friend Demon in Lipstick. Although I do find this one of the most creative usernames.

I just like to be me. Cool

In this case anyway. Sometimes I really wish that somebody else was me, or that I was somebody else, but that is a completely different subject. Smiler


------------------------
When I started trawling on the internet years ago Wink, People did not use their real names. I guess it was for security reasons.
I am an American living in OZ and I got married to Aussie DH in 89 so I became usaoz89. I love some of the names here and would love to hear their stories too Smiler.
My user name is the name of my palomino mare's registered name "Atoes Texas Rose" (stable name "Rosie"). I just use the Texas Rose bit.

I had thought it was a safety issue not using my real name. I doubt I'm interesting enough for anyone to bother stalking me or anything, so I probably need not have worried. Smiler

All my passwords and names anywhere are the names of my horses (I have 5 Eeker) or my cats (I have 2) and I can never remember which name as a password belongs where.

There's a whole heck of a lot to be said for using your real name. Smiler
I can imagine it must be confusing TR! Especially if you have to use numbers in your username as well. I know the history behind your username, and I have always liked it.

I once had to use a different username because mine was already taken (how many people are called suzanne??? Quite a lot, apparently!), and so I decided to spell my name backwards. Apart from the fact that it sounded like Klingon, I could never remember it.

I keep my last name to myself though. It is just weird, especially in Dutch. Smiler

-------------------
When registering, it was only on my third attempt that I was accepted. If that had failed as well, I would have given up as I don't have a 4th e-mail addy.
Anyway, I used up the usernames that I usually use on those first two tries so the third time I simply put in my own name.
quote:
Originally posted by suzanne:
And it is a beautiful name too. But can you please tell us how to pronounce it? Wink


It's pronounced Ear-La. It's spelled Iarla, but pronounced with Irish pronunciation rather than latin. I won't go into the correct old Irish spelling, suffice to say that it be f'in crazy.
I picked my name as I thought it's quite appropriate for a chatforum.

A 'blether' in scotland is someone who talks a lot (usually nonsense! Big Grin). A 'skite' can sometimes mean a slap or a slip as in "I went skiting across the floor" but when I was little and babbling away as you do when you are 5 years old my mum used to call me a "wee bletherskite"

So I tend to use that for any web based stuff I do, means people can recognise me from one site to another as well.
I've used the name Half-Full (as in "the glass is half full") for about 7 years, but first used it in a chat room I still attend. It's for people dealing with autism (my son has autism spectrum disorder), and I started going to it the day after my son was diagnosed. The day of his diagnosis, I was overcome with, surprisingly, feelings of optimism, instead of the fear I would have expected to feel, so I chose a name that reflected my positive outlook on my son's future.

I find that, in general, it becomes harder with age (and the onset of cynicism) to stay true to my optimistic nature, so I've retained the name, and used it other places, such as here, to sort of remind me to think positive, even when it's not an easy thing to do. It's to remind me that all the times I've been most successful, productive and happy in my life, were the times when I was my true, optimistic self.

Anyway, that's enough hot air about me Wink
That's a very inspiring story, Half-Full. Big Grin

I've had my username since 2000. I used a few before that, but none really stuck. I was registering on the Duran Duran boards, and I think the name I used at the time was taken. So I took one of their songs (Khanada) and combined it with the last name of my favourite band member at the time, Nick Rhodes.

As for the whole real name thing, it never even occurred to me to ever use my real name, but my real name seems to be pretty common (Katie), so I'm sure it's probably taken at most boards of a decent size.
quote:
Originally posted by Ellefinn:
My personal favourites among current regular contributers are Mr Sadly & Patty O'Furniture.

Why thank you, Ellefinn! Smiler

Mine was a name I had kicking around since about 3 years ago when I was planning to join. I never got around to it until last December though.

Wait, I just remembered - a bit more to it than that! At first it was my girlfriend who wanted to join. She asked me to suggest a good handle due to my extensive familiarity with things Finn. So I was batting around a bunch of options for her. "Mister Sadly" was one she loved, but the gender flip would have been odd.

She did end up joining, but it didn't stick I guess. I don't recall what name she settled on. Then when CH reformed and I wanted to join to keep my finger on the pulse, I had a ready-made nickname!
Oh, thanks for that, Jaffaman. I did search to see if the topic had been raised before but failed to find it. It is very interesting to read through those stories, especially of those who are still active posters on the forum.

However, it still seems a topic worthy of being revisited, especially as there are so many new members since then. Smiler
My story is sadly highly unentertaining...I live in Melbourne Big Grin Although, it does kind of show a certain amount of pride and attachment I have to the place. I moved around a lot as a kid, and by the time I was 9 (the age at which we moved to Melbourne) I had lived in Adelaide, Karatha (a small mining town in WA), Melbourne once, Sydney, Papua New Guinea and Malaysia. It was nice to finally settle down somewhere, and I hope to be here for a while.
I read back through the other thread too. Also interesting to see who are still frequent posters.

My user name has absolutely nothing to do with the Finns or their music. The origin of my own name, Anne, is derived from the Hebrew for grace. I've always used Grace as a pseudonym or pen name when I've wanted to be at arm's length from a project (like an ill-devised foray into romantic novel writing, but let's not get into that). So it stuck with me.

There's a Canadian band called The Tragically Hip - I'm not a rabid fan but they get tons of airplay here - that has a song called "Grace, Too", including the lyrics "Armed with will and determination, and grace, too. I liked the sound of it, and hope it to be true.
Mine is my own name as well.
Mag is short for Margaret. I have lived in London since 1988, and everybody here just calls me Margaret, as Mag is too hard for English speaking people to pronounce. But all my family and friends in Holland still call me Mag.
And Bolt is my surname.
Simple as that Smiler.
quote:
Originally posted by MagBolt:
Mine is my own name as well.
Mag is short for Margaret. I have lived in London since 1988, and everybody here just calls me Margaret, as Mag is too hard for English speaking people to pronounce. But all my family and friends in Holland still call me Mag.
And Bolt is my surname.
Simple as that Smiler.


Mag as in MaG or Mag as in Madge/Marge? Either way, i can't see how English speakers would struggle with it??

Mine is quite simple and obvious - its my name.
My original forum name was RetroAshley. Retro because I'm a huge retro freak... I should have been born in the 60s, basically. And Ashley is just my name. I changed it shortly afterwards to kind of give some props to Neil... I mean, he's so talented (so are the rest of the guys, don't get me wrong!), but he's near and dear to my heart. So, Ashley.N.F. it is. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Sara:
Mag as in MaG or Mag as in Madge/Marge?

No, not Madge or Marge, just Mag Smiler.
quote:
Either way, i can't see how English speakers would struggle with it??

You've probably never heard a Dutch person pronounce the letter G. If you had, you'd understand Wink.
I chose the surname of Albert Camus (existentialist philosopher) because I like his books and I find life absurd Wink Originally my user name here (waaaay back at the start in 2000) was Ubermensche, but I decided that could be taken the wrong way.
Going back just a few posts - I did wonder whether Khanada Rhodes was a Duran Duran reference. Love that song!

Dancing Girl was something I came up with on the spur of the moment as I tried to log on to the forum for the first time, and is quite unimpressive as a user name, I know - not as good as Bletherskite, anyway!

A few days before I had been at a CH gig and had a conversation with Neil while he was on stage! I was the only person dancing in the whole place, and he said I could dance wherever I wanted, not to worry about security, and I was his dancing guest! Pretty boring to most of you, possibly, but a shining moment in my life - especially as the whole thing was captured on a CD recorded of the gig!

So that night, I was THE dancing girl!
_______________________

You're so damn pretty, and don't you know it!
quote:
Originally posted by Camus:
I chose the surname of Albert Camus (existentialist philosopher) because I like his books and I find life absurd Wink


One of my all-time favorite quotes is from Albert Camus -
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
This is a wonderful topic! I got the idea for my username/s from a high school friend of mine. She was the strongest Beatles' fan I know of, and her fave Beatle was Paul and her nickname was paulie. Thank you CarolAnn! I stole her idea and chose timmie, now neila in honour of my 2 musicians of all time. I don't post much, but I am so happy that the Frenz forum exists! Previous to that I was known as Helenz to my penfrenz way back in the 80's -pre-CarolAnn, and speaking of which I'm still dying to know who k1969 is! ***grin***

Helen
Well my nom de keyboard has nothing to do with Matt Groening's most famous creation and pre-dates Master Simpson's arrival in the UK by quite a few years.

In recognition of my voracious appetite, my beloved Brother nicknamed me BART after one of his mate's Dad's pigs who was named thus and similarly enjoyed his food!
Well, this may freak you out, but BART is where my surname originated from! And I ain't no pig! BART is an excellent name to have, and a voracious appetite is a wonderful thing to have! For food, for life, for... anything!!!
__________________________________________

You're so damn pretty, and don't you know it!
great topic!

Unfortunately though, I can't add anything interesting 'cos Liz is my real name Smiler I'm not a very creative person (obviously) and I would have loved to come up with something more interesting but....Liz it is.
my name comes from the stone roses song sally cinnamon. I loved them growing up and have always used it in some guise or other (that and willy wonka Big Grin)

I love the word cinnamon anyway - its such a cool word. Might call one of my children that Eeker

Some great stories here
My name occured to me during a shamanic vision quest with a tribe of Shawnee Indians. I had just ingested some medicinal herbs left with me by Chief Pulling Leg, to aid me in my journey into the spirit world. As the visions beset me, a giant cornflake box appeared before me. It turned slowly to reveal a single word. Shawnee! It was then that i knew, the quest was over.

So i went home & stuck a "y" on the end of my very own name, & put the kettle on. The circle was now complete, & the tea was ready. It seems like many moons ago now, but in truth it was only yesterday. A great buffalo spirit helped me write this. Which may explain a lot.
quote:
Originally posted by Seany.:
My name occured to me during a shamanic vision quest with a tribe of Shawnee Indians. I had just ingested some medicinal herbs left with me by Chief Pulling Leg, to aid me in my journey into the spirit world. As the visions beset me, a giant cornflake box appeared before me. It turned slowly to reveal a single word. Shawnee! It was then that i knew, the quest was over.

So i went home & stuck a "y" on the end of my very own name, & put the kettle on. The circle was now complete, & the tea was ready. It seems like many moons ago now, but in truth it was only yesterday. A great buffalo spirit helped me write this. Which may explain a lot.


Wow, that is...profound. Seany, you've inspired me to go on my own visionquest to come up with a better user name. Maybe I can get some of them medicinal herbs you speak so highly of Smiler
Well, of course all of you literature freaks would recognize immediately the bow to "Cyrano," and my weakness for falling in love with strangers via email. There's also a nod to my parents, Margaret and Jim Richardson, who coincidentally named me Roxanne. Go Figure.
SmilerRR
quote:
Originally posted by Roxanne R:
Well, of course all of you literature freaks would recognize immediately the bow to "Cyrano," and my weakness for falling in love with strangers via email. There's also a nod to my parents, Margaret and Jim Richardson, who coincidentally named me Roxanne. Go Figure.
SmilerRR

Hm, not that anyone could touch Steve Martin's version, but I'm kind of surprised no one has tried to update it into the e- age.

Wait. I bet somebody has, and I just wasn't paying attention. That's the e- age for ya.
quote:
Originally posted by Roxanne R:
Well, of course all of you literature freaks would recognize immediately the bow to "Cyrano," and my weakness for falling in love with strangers via email. There's also a nod to my parents, Margaret and Jim Richardson, who coincidentally named me Roxanne. Go Figure.
SmilerRR


Coincidentally, I have a similar weakness. But my parents named me Ross Breithaupt... nothing to do with Cyrano. I don't even have a very big nose. My hair can get big though.
Big Grin
Horse 2 water ski-ing - Horse To Water by Split Enz with my own unique sad little twist couldn't resist it really although I think I should be marked down for my Prince like spelling. Horse To Water a sort of mental busking record - what can I say I have never used water ski's but I'm about as good as a horse on water ski's on the computer!! Tragic really
Mine comes from the Enz song of course. I got in to the Enz after my Dad died and the lyrics of this song really struck a chord with me so I chose it. All I needed was a friend....

I really love it now though and use it whenever I need a login name - even if I'm somewhere that's not Finn related. It just feels like me really!
quote:
Originally posted by caledonia girl:
Caledonia is an ancient name for Scotland, and a nicer one in my opinion, also the name of a song I'm pretty fond of (Amy MacDonald has a version of this now, worth a listen.)

So being a proud "Caledonian" and a girl, there you have it.


Have you heard the version of "Caledonia" performed by Popup ?

Just curious...

Jennifer
Hi everyone!!

Came to this chat room rather late and so many good names were already taken. Finn related especially.

I chose Constant as my name as that's how I felt about the music, always with me and that I will be a constant fan.

I have used my real name by accident on another site, which doesn't bother me as I have nothing to hide, and you feel you are responding on a personal level rather than a chat room level.

My favourite name so far is Mr Trouser Pants (funny)



"Too much much travel, can't remember where I've been..........."
quote:
Originally posted by constant:
Hi everyone!!

Came to this chat room rather late and so many good names were already taken. Finn related especially.

I chose Constant as my name as that's how I felt about the music, always with me and that I will be a constant fan.

I have used my real name by accident on another site, which doesn't bother me as I have nothing to hide, and you feel you are responding on a personal level rather than a chat room level.

My favourite name so far is Mr Trouser Pants (funny)



"Too much much travel, can't remember where I've been..........."


As good a reason as any! I like itSmiler And welcome!
I'm Merujo in other places online, and I have started answer to it in real life. There are some of my online friends who only know me by that name. It's just the first two letters of my first, middle, and last name, squished together. Of course, I didn't know it was an actual Portuguese name when I chose it. I occasionally get e-mail from Portugal - people think they've found a countryman, when, in fact, they've just found some fat, middle-aged American chick. Smiler

Merujo
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Sadly:
That wouldn't work for me. Jopaan. Well, maybe Netherlandish. Or Afrikaans.


I can see it, especially with your icon. For some reason, I can hear the end of the intro for some great, cheesy anime series: "And featuring Jopaan, the stern, but wise Dutch sea captain!"
quote:
Originally posted by MagBolt:
That would make me Marobo...
Nah, I think I'll just stick with what I've got.


Smiler I like Marobo - it's very friendly! But I like MagBolt, too. Someone at work just called me Merujo - eek! I think that one's gonna stick for a good long time.

Merujo
I've just changed my user name - I was York Saint which was a nod to the city I lived in (York) and the town I was born in (St Helens). However I've now moved away from York and only ever go back to St Helens to watch the rugby league team, so thought I'd better change it! My new user name is simply the shortened version of my first name.
quote:
Originally posted by Merujo:
I'm Merujo in other places online, and I have started answer to it in real life. There are some of my online friends who only know me by that name. It's just the first two letters of my first, middle, and last name, squished together. Of course, I didn't know it was an actual Portuguese name when I chose it. I occasionally get e-mail from Portugal - people think they've found a countryman, when, in fact, they've just found some fat, middle-aged American chick. Smiler


That's a cute process! I'd be heroki, which sounds very Japanese of course, but to be really egocentric, I could just call myself hero.

I. Am. Hero.

I like it. Smiler I just don't look heroic Frowner.
quote:
Originally posted by Merujo:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Sadly:
That wouldn't work for me. Jopaan. Well, maybe Netherlandish. Or Afrikaans.


I can see it, especially with your icon. For some reason, I can hear the end of the intro for some great, cheesy anime series: "And featuring Jopaan, the stern, but wise Dutch sea captain!"

Ah yes...I can hear the fanfare of horns...
quote:
Originally posted by Merujo:
I'm Merujo in other places online, and I have started answer to it in real life. There are some of my online friends who only know me by that name. It's just the first two letters of my first, middle, and last name, squished together. Of course, I didn't know it was an actual Portuguese name when I chose it. I occasionally get e-mail from Portugal - people think they've found a countryman, when, in fact, they've just found some fat, middle-aged American chick. Smiler

Merujo


...That would make me Roitle (or Roi-le if I count the hyphen in my middle name). Doesn't really work Smiler OR rovile, using the middle name I was christened with (different to the one on my birth certificate and other documents). ew.
quote:
Originally posted by yemanja:
My user name is from Time On Earth as I joined the forum around its release time. I had no clue who/what yemanja is/was but apparently she is/was the Goddess of the Sea. I quite like that Smiler


She was indeed, and was the mother of all living things and the owner of all the waters and a protector of children according to some mythology
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Sadly:
quote:
Originally posted by Finngirl:
Mine would be Taetmavo

hmmmm

Hmmm indeed...four names! Well, if I'm allowed to use my Confirmation name, I'd be jopachan.


I was born with two middle names... and was Confirmed as well... sooo that would make me

Aselrovede!

....is it weird that I think that's kinda cool.

(yes)
quote:
Originally posted by Finngirl:
quote:
Originally posted by yemanja:
My user name is from Time On Earth as I joined the forum around its release time. I had no clue who/what yemanja is/was but apparently she is/was the Goddess of the Sea. I quite like that Smiler


She was indeed, and was the mother of all living things and the owner of all the waters and a protector of children according to some mythology


Cripes, I find it hard enough being the mother of 2 teenagers so I certainly wouldn't want to be the mother to all living things, that belongs in the too hard basket thanks!! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by hk:
quote:
Originally posted by Merujo:
I'm Merujo in other places online, and I have started answer to it in real life. There are some of my online friends who only know me by that name. It's just the first two letters of my first, middle, and last name, squished together. Of course, I didn't know it was an actual Portuguese name when I chose it. I occasionally get e-mail from Portugal - people think they've found a countryman, when, in fact, they've just found some fat, middle-aged American chick. Smiler


That's a cute process! I'd be heroki, which sounds very Japanese of course, but to be really egocentric, I could just call myself hero.

I. Am. Hero.

I like it. Smiler I just don't look heroic Frowner.


True heroes never do, hk!

Mine would be Sumabu.... nah. Sounds too much like a sushi roll to me! Smiler
Hmmm, well if I go back to my maiden name (as yet undecided) I would be Anmaca.

I envision someone, Portuguese, shaking their fist at some seriously annoying person, drawing out that last syllable: anmacaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Anyway, Aselrovede your name totally rocks.
I think mine was my email addie way back in the day. I started out as agt_iris (which, don't laugh, was my webTV login) but when I finally got a real computer circa 1999 or so, I wanted to use my favorite CH song, and I think it was taken with the correct spelling. On every other forum, etc, I go by samorama but for old time's sake I kept distnsun here.
quote:
Originally posted by GraceToo:
Hmmm, well if I go back to my maiden name (as yet undecided) I would be Anmaca.

I envision someone, Portuguese, shaking their fist at some seriously annoying person, drawing out that last syllable: anmacaaaaaaaa!!!!!



Do I have permission to yell this out at anyone talking through Liam's set in a week?

AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

roughly translated, A POX ON YOUR HOUSEHOLD!!!Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Ashley.N.F.:
Do I have permission to yell this out at anyone talking through Liam's set in a week?

AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

roughly translated, A POX ON YOUR HOUSEHOLD!!!Smiler


Gosh, I think it behooves you to do so! Plus I'd buy you a drink if you did.

BTW, congrats on getting the radio show. Does it stream online?
No story really! I like to use Cap'n Avatar as my default avatar any time I sign on to a forum. Sometimes I change to something else later, sometimes I go back.

That distressed-looking individual is a MS Paint self-portrait I did a few days ago. It just captured a certain mood.
Funny I was just thinking the same thing. I might have captured my mood a little TOO accurately.

Is there a thread for discussing Avatars? I always see one I want to discuss and there's no place for it that I can see. Could somebody just start one?

EDIT: How's that - better? I turned the howling frown upside down.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Sadly:
That's my kind of action. Put me down for 20 points to whoever can guess.


i may be cheating, mr sadly, but does it have something to do w/ 'tuggy'?

i'll say it again: check out mr sadly's profile and click on over to his hilarious blog!

if i'm right, will you change your pic back to the captain?
quote:
Originally posted by disembodied carie:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Sadly:
That's my kind of action. Put me down for 20 points to whoever can guess.


i may be cheating, mr sadly, but does it have something to do w/ 'tuggy'?

i'll say it again: check out mr sadly's profile and click on over to his hilarious blog!

if i'm right, will you change your pic back to the captain?

Only Greatfox knows for sure! I was just horning in on his or her action.

Hey, what's wrong with my guy now? I made him happy instead of anguished.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
    All times London, UK.

    ©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.
×
×
×
×
×