If any of you have Windows XP, you can actually enable a firewall setting associated with your internet connection. PM me if you have any questions, but it's only for those who have Windows XP.
I have quite a bit of stuff protecting me.
1. I use MSN and their browser to read my e-mail, not Outlook. That way all my mail is already scanned with McAfee by MSN before I even see it.
2. I use a free firewall software called Zone Alarm
. It's constantly running, and not only blocks things getting to your pc, it gives you the opportunity to stop communicating with sites you aren't familiar with. You can read about and get this free stuff HERE.
3. My last job gave me a copy of Norton Antivirus
Corporate Edition which never expires, and was free.
4. The afore mentioned Windows XP firewall.
5. Something that I'd recommend to everyone is a free package called Ad-aware
. This program scans your system for known advertising, and tracking components that are downloaded to your pc when you surf around. It basicly protects your privacy. You can read about and get this free stuff HERE.