Skip to main content

Hi Folkz,
Got this yesterday. WOW! I must admit, I didn't buy it for Neil but in order to hear History Never Repeats, see Tim and Johnny Marr. All those interviews an stuff. Its only a couple of bucks more than the cd so if you have a dvd player, just get the deev. (it's got more tracks too).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Couldn't agree more. I've got both the CD and the DVD, but the DVD is well worth the extra cost if your gonna only be able to buy one.

I have to say that the extras on the DVD (as in the interviews) make it even more worth while. Loved the interview with Eddie Vedder, especially since he very rarely does interviews. What was funny was listening to how Neil & Tim were his musical influence and then how Liam was really influenced by Pearl Jam and how he got Neil into listening to them. Sounds complicated but it isn't and is actually very strong and amusing to listen to.

Also worth getting to see Johnny Marr first meeting Eddie Vedder & Co. Hey as a Brit I am almost by default a Smiths fan and that was like 'wow' two legends meeting each other for the 1st time!!!!

But the main reason I loved the DVD were the extra tracks,especially Private Universe and History Never Repeats. One of the best live gigs I've ever heard.

Cheers

Wilich
Hi there,

2 am, I had just read this posts, when I run to my room and picked the 7 Worlds DVD from the Finn Shelf (Just Finn related items on it).

Now it's 4:17 and the DVD has just finished. Sometimes I've felt the need of jumping around and shouting, but my parents are sleeping next door, other times I've nearly cried.

But one thing is sure, I need to see Neil live. Now I need it more than ever, that's why I make this question. When is he coming over to Europe? Doesn't he spend too much time in America? It ain't fair. Come on Neil, we need you.
quote:
Originally posted by raul iglesias:
[qb]

Now it's 4:17 and the DVD has just finished. Sometimes I've felt the need of jumping around and shouting, but my parents are sleeping next door, other times I've nearly cried.

[/qb]
I know what you mean. This DVD is almost constantly in my player and is a favourite of my husband's as well (he became a fan after watching it Smiler ).
Really, really great to read your reaction to it and sincerely hope that Neil and Tim play in your neck of the woods.
hello...
it's been ages since i've visited this forum, but i decided to pay a visit yesterday for no other reason than to satisfy my craving for new music and to find out the latest news about Neil. when i logged in yesterday i decided to message someone from here whom i've chatted with ages ago and ...well... the reason why i'm writing this is because i was JUST talking to him about the pearl jam shows that i caught during their recent tour here in the States. in a reply back to him i suggested that we bring it up in the forum- i thought that a). it would be cool to find out what people had to share regarding pearl jam/neil finn and b). i felt that there HAD to be at least one other person here who may have caught pearl jam on their recent tour. i was hoping that Eddie would do a Neil/CH/SE cover at any one of the shows that i went to but.. he didn't Frowner
(Pearl Jam will be touring Europe next year in case anyone was wondering.. so for all of you Brits, etc.. get your fan club memberships ASAP if you haven't already.. it may be too late but it's worth checking out.. www.tenclub.net is PJ's official site). Good luck Wink

as for '7 Worlds Collide' it's one of my favorite albums (i was just listening to it yesterday), and i plan on watching the dvd this quiet monday evening Big Grin . also, i just recently mailed a '7 Worlds Collide' cd out to a friend of mine in Manchester, England.. i'm trying to broaden his musical experiences (ironically enough, he's in a band!) and spread the Neil Finn love lol.

anyway, i just thought that i'd post this silly message (first one since neil played here in New York last year) to say 'what a small world. .i was just talking about that.' Big Grin

...funny how things just happen like that
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
[qb] Eddie Vedder is lucky to have Neil as a friend. His vocals are cacaphony on Neil's songs and "his" selections on 7WC were most raucous. One collaborator with whom I was not impressed. [/qb]
While for the most part I agree that Eddie Vedder's performances don't equal those that the Finns typically give on these songs, I think it's interesting to hear the songs given a slightly different spin with his different vocal style. And I do think his take on Stuff and Nonsense is just fantastic. The harmonizing between Eddie and Tim on the chorus, especially at the end of the song, is one of my favorite moments of the whole concert.
quote:
posted by jane:
Eddie Vedder is lucky to have Neil as a friend. His vocals are cacaphony on Neil's songs and "his" selections on 7WC were most raucous. One collaborator with whom I was not impressed.

Yes, my friend, I must agree w/u, musically...eddie is a sheep that must be shot! But... visually ...he is a delight! Wink

And, brownie...I love STUFF & NONSENSE, too..a wonderful, TIM moment in the dvd, for me...it's just perfect... Smiler

Mmmm, since we're discussing this dvd...I know awamutu's favorite moment, as well as my own... Big Grin ...is the intermission scene, w/ all the gang...it's must see dvd ...

I'm hoping they're capturing every second of the rehearsing/recording of FINN 2...yeah? And turning it into a new dvd for the world to enjoy? I think I'd buy it... Cool
quote:
[qb] Eddie Vedder is lucky to have Neil as a friend. His vocals are cacaphony on Neil's songs and "his" selections on 7WC were most raucous. One collaborator with whom I was not impressed. [/qb]
Actually, I'm not a Pearl Jam/Eddie fan, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much energy he brought to the show. Vedder took to Take A Walk very naturally, and I See Red also is refreshing twist on there to me.

It's all very honest to me that Eddie participated, and that section where he explains the link of being a fan of Neil's, and Liam being a PJ fan, etc. is a great story.

It sure doesn't hurt that some PJ/Vedder fans were probably exposed to something new because of this release, and may increase Neil's fan base.
quote:
Eddie Vedder is lucky to have Neil as a friend. His vocals are cacaphony on Neil's songs and "his" selections on 7WC were most raucous. One collaborator with whom I was not impressed.
I could never get really get into Pearl Jam and I wasn't a fan of Eddie Vedder's voice until I heard him sing those songs on the DVD. I've also heard him cover some of The Who's songs and I have to say I think he's one of those rare singers who sounds better doing other peoples songs rather than his own.
I've been tempted several times to post to this thread..

But felt that doing so I might not give a fair view since I've found it very hard to listen to the CD.

So finally I figured I'd go back and listen so I could give a fair opinion.. And sadly, my opinion is still that the CD is a huge letdown. I guess it's just not my cup-o-tea. It's not a shade on anything else Neil-related that I have so I won't be picking up the DVD..

Eddie's voice is fine on Ten, but to me doesn't fit here at all, Neil's done far better renditions of There Is a Light. I'm glad they appear to have enjoyed it, but personally it's $15 I wish I'd still got in the bank. I guess I was hoping for some of the magic that is Neil live. Perhaps the DVD has more of it, but the CD's put me off.

And yes, I should probably go find a thread about the CD instead. But I'm lazy Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by raul iglesias:
[qb]
But one thing is sure, I need to see Neil live. Now I need it more than ever, that's why I make this question. When is he coming over to Europe? Doesn't he spend too much time in America? It ain't fair. Come on Neil, we need you. [/qb]
haha, well to be honest I don't think he spends enought time in America. I live in Alabama, and he's never done in the south, just up in the northeast and west. I've got the other DVD "Sessions at West 54th" and love it, and I want to get the 7 Worlds Collide DVD too. I really want to see him live, but since I haven't been into him but a few years, he hasn't been here since I've liked him. Past few times he's been to America he hasn't been around this area that I know of. I always thought he toured a lot more in Europe...haha. I guess he should just come to each continent more. Razzer But I'm with you, I'd love to see him live. I emailed him actually to ask if he was gonna tour around here anytime soon, cuz I and many would love to see him. Hopefully he'll come more to where I live and where you live. Smiler
Yipppeeeee I've bought it, yessss I did it...

First I want to mention ...Neil Finn has the big,unique and inimitable honor to be on every single DVD I own....applause not everybody is able to be in such a very important position, congratulations Mr. Finn Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
ERM...OK I confess I only got the Dreaming DVD and this one Roll Eyes .
Maybe I should get a DVD player for my telly instead of watching it on my PC (*wink* Santa are you reading this?)

So here are my fav highlights of this wonderful DVD (I've only seen it once, so pardon me, if I forget something important)

Funniest Highlight #1: Lisas fight against the balky microphone. Did she win this "David against Goliath the mic" battle?

Funniest Highlight #2: Mr Finn's first try to beginn the "Last to know". I've never thought a friendly "Cheers" could trip someone so badly up.
Don't let me forget to yell a "cheers" to him during the chicken song....tehe Big Grin

Backstage triage #1: The polaroids with the single black drawn tooth....*sings* remember my loose tooth, forget what I just bit, I'll crawl over the dentist chair, If I could bite again... Big Grin

Backstage triage #2": The "watch out you head" sign.I didn't expect that everybody is so tall at this event.
Are there some secret Basketball players to spot?

Most rocking highlight: History never repeats. Boy, this rocks *headbang*

Most impressive higlight: TIM FINN singing I see red, wow. How old is this man? 18? From where does this man get his energies? Where ist his secret fountain of youth? Or did he attache some rubber on his sole? Or is this the red sock myth I always try do discover?

Most inspiring highlight: Paradies ... I heard it, and wanted to dress up a hula skirt with a coconut bra and dance the hula *ALOHA* (I agree to get hired for the finn bros tour with this performance Big Grin )

Most moving highlight: Mr.Finn's proud talking of his son's performance...awwwwww
I wish somebody would talk in this way about me, when I try to sing a song instead of running out of the building.

Strangest highlight: Seeing Neil Finn himself WITHOUT a guitar singing a song. I always thought the guitar is irremoveable fixed on his body Big Grin

Most "longing for" moment: Kare Kare !!! Can someone please pay me a trip to stay there a few weeks erm em month???

OK I surley forgot some more wonderful moments, but this is such an incredible concert and every single song is a highlight...but only thing missing is "message to my girl"

The only downer for me,it's another "I wish I've could have been there" feeling more.

So that's enough, I have to watch the DVD again.
CHEEEEEERS

Add Reply

©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.
Link copied to your clipboard.