Skip to main content

Yes, so many wonderful tidbits being shared here. I'll add a few then.

1. I did have a thing for Gopher as well but this was predated by my complete adoration and love for Buck Owens and his red, white and blue guitar. You see, I grew up in Kentucky where I spent my Saturday afternoons eating peanut butter & butter sandwiches and drinking hot chocolate watching football with my dad when he was in town. And evenings as I recall them were often filled with the music and antics of Buck, Roy and the Hee-Haw gang.

2. I was once flashed by Keanu Reeves. I think. I saw him in a production of "The Tempest" in 1989 somewhere in NY state. There was a fight scene on stage, three feet in front of me on the grass. There were robes and diaper-like undergarments involved. I was sure I saw something, but in retrospect I've though he must have been wearing a dance belt. At least you'd think...

3. I graduated from modeling school in Akron, Ohio. My friends' parents sent them to learn some 'poise' and I went along for the glamour. I learned to do crip-dior turns in 3" heels and how to get in and out of a car in a mini skirt. I never did get the contour-highlight eye make-up technique though, in either "Make Up I" or "Make Up 2".

4. I got a BA in Mandarin because my dad always travelled to Japan when I was little. Yes, well, you see, Japanese wasn't offered at that summer camp in Vermont... so I started off with Mandarin and just kept going. Never got around to Japanese, although my Welsh is now coming along fine!

5. And to throw in a health note, I have one of the the most bizzare cases of food intolerance I've ever heard of. It started 5 years ago when I noticed I was getting headaches after every meal. (I was in denial about it for about a year I think before I even noticed.) An allergist suggested eliminating gluten and dairy (both of which I'd been allergic to as a child), and that helped, but not much. Then I took out the vasoactive amines (migraine triggers) such as citrus fruit, nightshade veggies, coffee and additives. That helped more, but there was still suffering. Then a Chinese doctor muscle tested me and gave me another list comprised of random things like eggs, chocolate, tumeric, spinach, canola oil, and (if you can believe it) vanilla. So now I am pretty good on the headache front, especially when I'm not stressed, and there are a lot of foods I can still eat. However, eating out and visiting other people is a challenge for everyone involved, as I can often eat only one ingredient in any dish. My most commonly asked question is "Wow, so what can you eat?"

5�. I've been caught up in a strange Victor Garber Vortex since March. Do you know him? I had no idea what his name was until his Alias character Jack Bristow showed up in one of my dreams. Since then I've been somewhat haunted by his image and have fallen in love with his reading of the Bunnicula stories on tape. I've half-promised myself that if I ever meet him I'll step right up and sing the line, "Yesterday was plain awful!" (from Annie). He can do five different British people that all sound different and he has quite a lovely singing voice to boot. To boot I say!

Oh, and BTW Dean, nice photo!
It's cool to see so many interesting random things have been posted here. Here's round 3 for me-

1. While I haven't been medically diagnosed with any particular hearing problem, I (like Hairy Canary) have some quirks. Mine are probably from drumming on kevlar drum heads in corps (back in the day). Roll Eyes Anyway, I often have difficulty hearing/understanding someone speaking right in front of me, however, I seem to have a great sense of hearing over distance.

2. I never feed my cats "people food" except maybe a rare piece of lunchmeat, but by accident have discovered that one of my cats loves popcorn. Specifically, she enjoys Smartfood's Cheddar Popcorn, but she's not particular and will eat buttered as well.

3. I am a little bit of a Beatles freak, and can't wait for this new release they are talking about called Let It Be...Naked.

4. Instead of buying a weeks worth of groceries at a time, I usually go to the store everyday. That way, I only buy what I need.

5. I'm arithmaphobic.
The bewildering thing is, Sara, that cheddar popcorn (yes, popcorn that tastes like cheese) is actually one of the tamer snackfoods available on US supermarket shelves.

I swear, these people have raised snacking to some kind of high abstract art. I used to walk along the aisles of my local supermarket in Connecticut for the first few months I was there, simply pointing and laughing. Because if I hadn't laughed, I believe I may have screamed...

"Cheese in a spray can? Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me." "My god, is there ONE single breakfast food out of these HUNDREDS that DOESN'T have more than 50% sugar?"
quote:
Originally posted by kia kaha:
[qb] Lemme get this straight Geddy.

You're scared of numbers?

Eeker

[/qb]
Yep. Have calculator, will travel. Razzer

quote:
Originally posted by Sara:
[qb]
quote:
Originally posted by geddy:
[qb] Specifically, she enjoys Smartfood's Cheddar Popcorn, but she's not particular and will eat buttered as well. [/qb]
Cheddar popcorn? as in, popcorn that tastes like cheese? [/qb]
Yep. Here's what it looks like.

and here's a link to a Snack Review.
Cheese popcorn is rather tame, but there are all sorts of mixes, like cheese, chocolate and caramel popcorn with nuts. Sounds awful, like chocalate covered pretzels, but really quite yummy somehow.

Geddy, I had a cat who would eat peas. Frozen, cooked, raw out of the shell, anyhow. He also drank coffee. Both of these things were also discovered by accident. His name was Jefferson, and he was an all around strange cat. Like, he wouldn't meow, he would kind of "tooth rattle".
quote:
[qb] "Cheese in a spray can? Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me." [/qb]
Kia, I tried to bring a can of spray cheese in to Oz last time I came back from the States. Customs confiscated it and refused to let me bring it in on the grounds it contained dairy products. Eeker I challenged them to find any remnant of dairy in it, but they still wouldn't let me keep it.

(Was bringing it back for joke value, BTW)
quote:
[qb] The bewildering thing is, Sara, that cheddar popcorn (yes, popcorn that tastes like cheese) is actually one of the tamer snackfoods available on US supermarket shelves.

I swear, these people have raised snacking to some kind of high abstract art. I used to walk along the aisles of my local supermarket in Connecticut for the first few months I was there, simply pointing and laughing. Because if I hadn't laughed, I believe I may have screamed...

"Cheese in a spray can? Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me." "My god, is there ONE single breakfast food out of these HUNDREDS that DOESN'T have more than 50% sugar?" [/qb]
I know, spray cheese is pretty over the top. I had the opportunity to go to a snack food convention once. If you think the stuff on the shelves is whacked out, you should see the stuff that doesn't make it. Eeker

I do believe, though, that the Japanese have the U.S. beat in the snack food department. The flavors, shapes, colors and packaging run the gamut from the sublime to the ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining, I LOVE wasabi peas!
quote:
Originally posted by wuntie:
[qb]
quote:
Originally posted by tonguetied:
[qb] Anything cheese flavoured is yummy in my books.

[/qb]
Right on, Ingrid! Don't knock Smartfood until you try it...it's actually rather tasty. I have a bigger problem with Taco Bell (simulated meat from a gun) and yet I eat that as well. Wink [/qb]
I was biting into a taco supreme as I read this. I almost spit it on my monitor! LOL.

I know Taco Bell is evil. But I can't resist it.
Random food things

I am addicted to crunchy peanut butter therefore it never graces my shopping trolley. I would be found under the stairs with a tablespoon gibbering and excited if it did.

I'm a starch/carb addict. The Atkins diet would be pure hell on earth for me *chomps on a massive chunk of crusty bread and peanut butter*

I hated garlic until the age of 19 when a friend of mine got me very drunk and I was force fed garlic bread. Now I am a no go area for all vampires....except maybe Kate Beckinsale Wink

I didn't really eat anything at all in my late teens early twenties.....doh Roll Eyes

I refuse to eat pringles because when I pop I can't stop....really!I can't! Eeker
Grace...how can a restaurant that sells a meatless bean burrito containing all 4 food groups for only 99 cents be evil? I LIVE for those!

What IS evil to me, though, is any food that's flourescent orange. I refuse to eat "cheesy" snack foods because that whole pre-processed powder stuff is scary (just ask Ultra Vivid!). What we DO, though...our veterinarian recommended a hollow dog toy called a KONG toy for our chew-happy beagle (who destroys most dog toys in a manner of minutes). We fill it with cheese spray, toss it to him, and don't see him for an hour!

Geddy, I'm arithmaphobic too. I never took more than 2 years of math in high school. When my kids have math homework, I send them straight to their stepfather. Wink I always dug liberal arts tests more because any answer you give is right, provided you back it up well enough. But with math....eugghhhh...the answer is simply 6. If you get anything other than 6, you're wrong. And I HATE that!

Blink: that's a really cool ability, I've never heard of that! Do you know of any blue to purple baby names that don't begin or end with M, and what color is the word "Sydney?"

Colleen...all I have to say in response to being flashed by Keanu Reeves is....."WHOA." Big Grin

Nice weekend everybody!
Heidi: sydney starts a bright blue and rapidly becomes black Smiler

blue to purple babies names? ....... well........ the letter 'S' gives a word a blue colour - but other letters affect how strongly the blue is seen. sue is quite a blue name - but susan is dominated by yellow, despite the 2 'S's. purple isn't a colour i see with words, just with other sounds.

i thought everyone saw colours with words etc till i saw a program on tv about it a few years ago...... any others of you synaesthetes? my mother is really weird - when she eats she sees colours corresponding to the flavours of the food she's eating Razzer
quote:
Originally posted by Blink:
[qb]
i thought everyone saw colours with words etc till i saw a program on tv about it a few years ago...... any others of you synaesthetes? my mother is really weird - when she eats she sees colours corresponding to the flavours of the food she's eating Razzer [/qb]
I probably saw the same show as you! Totally cool, unfortunately, I am not one myself....
quote:
Originally posted by Blink:
any others of you synaesthetes? [/QB]
I'm not but I wish I was now! Sounds really interesting. What color is Colleen to you (out of curiosity)?

And don't knock Smart Food till you've tried it. It's not like that icky orange-cheese covered popcorn. I discovered it while learning Mandarin at that summer camp, but couldn't eat it b/c of the milk thing. I did enjoy it during my dairy window from 1993 - 1999 though and I miss it again now.

So what about jelly doughnuts? My Japanese friend used to be soooo grossed out by them. Anyone else not too sure what they're all about?
quote:
Posted by paimaopi:
5�. I've been caught up in a strange Victor Garber Vortex since March. Do you know him?
Mmmmmm, I've been caught in his vortex since the early '70's and I saw him in the movie "Godspell", playing (hold on, folks!) Jesus! When he was in the original Broadway cast of "Sweeney Todd", in 1979 (?), I had to go to NYC to see him!!! Wink I should add him to my laminated list! Razzer

quote:
Posted by HairyCanary:
(Sue D - noone can even see my profile!),
Big Grin Razzer Nice to know I'm not alone in my addiction!! Roll Eyes
I had cats that loved popcorn, too. They loved any kind of corn, actually... we'd get tickled, though, as soon as those felines heard the corn popping in the microwave, they'd come out of hiding and start meowing in circles around us! Even better reaction time than can openers...

My in-laws feed their dog dry breakfast cereal and Wendy's hamburgers. (Not solely, mind you) Poor dog is as wide as she is tall.

A friend of mine had a rabbit that loved grapes. I always wanted to meet that rabbit... he said he could do all kinds of tricks.

I'm envious, too, Blink. Seeing colors like that would be ultra-cool.
quote:
[qb]cheddar popcorn (yes, popcorn that tastes like cheese) is actually one of the tamer snackfoods available on US supermarket shelves.

I swear, these people have raised snacking to some kind of high abstract art. I used to walk along the aisles of my local supermarket in Connecticut for the first few months I was there, simply pointing and laughing. [/qb]
Not that I would defend glut of strange snack foods in the U.S., but I have to point out the strangest food stuff I've ever seen or heard of is from Australia (and I can link it to a random thing about me to get this back on topic!)

RANDOM THING ABOUT ME: My favorite book is called Inconspicuous Consumption by Paul Lukas. It's a compilation of articles from his 'zine called "Beer Frame" which basically catalogs odd food items, random marketing slogans and other nonsense (check out the website Inconspicuous Consumption). One of my favorite articles talked about 2 LifeSavers flavors from Australia: Musk and Thirst. They became an obssession for me - I had to try them! What would posess someone to to take a scent and make it a candy flavor? And would the Thirst flavor quench your thirst or make you thirsty? I had to know...A friend of mine recently brought me the Musk flavored ones as a souviner from a trip to Australia (I don't think they make Thirst flavor anymore). They tasted like baby powder - simply retched. Took me days to get that taste out of my mouth.

So the snack food is always weirder on the other side (or continent)!
Hee hee hee! I never thought of musk as being particularly weird, though I suppose they do taste a bit baby powdery. I didn't like the thirst flavoured Lifesavers - made you thirsty rather than quenched. I remember them as being really sour. My grandmother used to take the name 'Lifesavers' a little too literally - she was a bit of a drama queen and it was always "Oh, people smoking" this and "horrible kids" that...always ending in the phrase "if I hadn't had a Lifesaver in my bag to suck on I would have died!!!" Eeker

I know some Americans also find it weird that we put pineapple on pizza. And yet, I don't understand candied yams or beer cheese soup.

It's a funny old world.
Speaking of dogs: My one eats all kind of fruits and vegetables. He's crazy about bananas I always think in a early life he was a vegetarian monkey.

I have another thing about me, which really nobody understands.
I hate any kind of alcohol. It's not that I'm a teetotaler cause of the addiction, I just can't stand the taste of it.
And everybody says to me c'mon don't be so boring, drink some beer with us. But even the smell of any kind of alcoholic drinks makes me wanna
Yes, cause of that I'm a lonely sad girl Frowner Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Diego:

When he was in the original Broadway cast of "Sweeney Todd", in 1979 (?), I had to go to NYC to see him!!! Wink I should add him to my laminated list! Razzer Nice to know I'm not alone in my addiction!! Roll Eyes
Oh Sue - I'm so glad to hear of your good fortune getting to see Victor on Broadway. And you're not alone! I didn't know he was in the original "Sweeny Todd" cast. So sorry he didn't win that Emmy on Sunday - I wanted to hear his acceptance speech! And great idea - I'll add him to my temporarily-forgotten laminated list ASAP. Razzer

Blink, thanks for letting me know the color of my name. Green sounds right to me too, though of course I don't see that myself. Do you get distracted by patterns or pictures when you look at whole pages of text?

Food colorings... not sure about those. Can you believe they dye salmon? Sheesh! Can we not be satisfied with regular-looking foods?!? Are we that visually sensitive?
Sandra, don't feel bad. I hate alcohol, too. I can drink it, if I HAVE to, but I certainly don't go out of my way to do so. And it has to be HEAVILY disguised with fruit juices or something! Mixed drinks only... no beer. YUK!

I'll hang with ya... we'll O.D. on Sprites or something!

Btw, I can't stop watching your avatar. It's so visually compelling! I could watch it all night! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Finnbo,Fuddbo & Juddbo:
[qb] Yeah...how did you make the avatar? [/qb]
with a whole lot of patience... a DVD...powerDVD...a graphic program...an animation program ... and again a lot of patience...

Since I own the Dreaming DVD I'm able to do everything wiht Neil, Tim, Paul, Nick and Mark *harharharhar*
The force is with me....

Add Reply

©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.
Link copied to your clipboard.