I'd just like to start off by thanking Jeremy for the amazing work he's put in with these re-releases. Personally I love the way these albums are presented. I honestly never imagined we would be getting so many bonus tracks. Especially never expected bonus discs for Afterglow, Time on Earth and Intriguer. Not to mention 32-page booklets with so much included!

BUT, let's be honest, there will always be fans who'll get upset over the exclusion of certain tracks. So I thought I'd get a post in early. Off the top of my head I can only think of a few songs I would have liked to have seen on the bonus disc track listing, but I'm certainly not making any complaints!

But I thought I'd ask you guys about rare songs you would have liked to have seen included. Feel free to list demos or live versions of album tracks that could have been present too.

Here's the track listing for the bonus discs. I'll try and update this post with your suggestions too! Let's try and get a complete list of "Shoulda been on there" tracks

CROWDED HOUSE: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Something So Strong (home Demo)
2. Hole In The River (studio Demo)
3. Love You ‘til The Day I Die (home Demo)
4. That’s What I Call Love (studio Demo)
5. Can’t Carry On (studio Demo)
6. Walking On The Pier (studio Demo)
7. Does Anyone Here Understand My Girlfriend (studio Demo)
8. Oblivion (studio Demo)
9. Walking On The Spot (studio Demo)
10. Something So Strong (studio Demo)
11. Now We’re Getting Somewhere (studio Demo)
12. Stranger Underneath Your Skin (home Demo)
13. Don’t Dream It’s Over (home Demo)
14. Left Hand (live)
15. Grabbing By The Handful (live)
16. World Where You Live (writing Demo)
17. Recurring Dream (original Version)

TEMPLE OF LOW MEN: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Whispers and Moans (home demo)
2. Never Be The Same (home demo)
3. Dream On (home demo)
4. Never Been Born (rehearsal excerpt)
5. Think I’m Gonna Change (home demo)
6. Into Temptation (home demo)
7. Fire Will Keep Me Warm (In The Lowlands home demo)
8. Love This Life (home demo)
9. Sister Madly (studio out-takes)
10. Mansion In The Slums (live)
11. This Is Massive (live)
12. Love This Life (live)
13. In The Lowlands (live)
14. I Feel Possessed (live)
15. Burnt Out Tree (live)
16. Mr Tambourine Man (live)
17. Eight Miles High (live)
18. So You Want To Be A Rock’n’Roll Star (live)
19. When You Come (live)
20. Sister Madly (live)
21. Better Be Home Soon (live)

WOODFACE: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Burnt Out Tree (HOME Demo)
2. I May Be Late (HOME Demo)
3. She Goes On (HOME Demo)
4. As Sure As I Am (HOME Demo)
5. My Legs Are Gone (STUDIO)
6. You Got Me Going (HOME Demo)
7. Italian Plastic (HOME Demo)
8. Be My Guest (HOME Demo)
9. Weather With You (HOME Demo)
10. Chocolate Cake (HOME Demo)
11. How Will You Go (HOME Demo)
12. It’s Only Natural (HOME Demo)
13. Four Seasons In One Day (HOME Demo)
14. There Goes God (HOME Demo)
15. Catherine Wheel (HOME Demo)
16. All I Ask (HOME Demo)
17. Fields Are Full Of Your Kind
18. Creek Song/Left Hand
19. Fall At Your Feet (EARLY Version Rehearsal)
20. The Burglar’s Song (MEDLEY)
       – Around The Uk In 7 Minutes (LIVE)
21. I’m Still Here (FULL Version)

TOGETHER ALONE: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Blue Smoke (home Demo)
2. Fingers Of Love (writing Demo)
3. Private Universe (home Demo)
4. The Same Language As Me (live)
5. Tail Of A Comet (live)
6. Distant Sun (writing Demo)
7. I Am In Love (band Demo)
8. Fingers Of Love (band Demo)
9. Fingers Of Love (alernative Studio Take)
10. Black And White Boy (early Rough Mix)
11. Locked Out (Zen Mix)
12. Newcastle Jam (studio Version)
13. Convent Girls
14. Zen Roxy

AFTERGLOW: 2016 Bonus CD
01. I am in love home (demo)
02. instinct home (demo)
03. spirit of the stairs home (demo)
04. I’m so scared of losing I can’t compete home (demo)
05. everything is good for you home (demo)
06. not the girl you think you are home (demo)
07. anthem
08. I don’t know you studio (demo)
09. taste of something divine studio (demo)
10. spirit of the stairs studio (demo)
11. loose tongue (rough mix)
12. instinct
13. everything is good for you
14. not the girl you think you are

TIME ON EARTH: 2016 Bonus CD
1. She Called Up (home demo)
2. A Sigh (home demo)
3. Here’s a Note (studio demo)
4. Purple Light (studio demo)
5. So Dramatic
6. Stare Me Out (alternative version)
7. Distance Across (studio demo)
8. Lost Island
9. Stare Me Out
10. Bound To Rescue (home demo)
11. Don’t Stop Now (home demo)
12. Won’t Be Silent (home demo)
13. People Are Like Suns (piano version)

INTRIGUER: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Only Way To Go Is Forward (live)
2. Beautiful Life (live)
3. Either Side Of The World (live)
4. Twice If You’re Lucky (live)
5. Bound To Rescue (live)
6. God Lives Over The Road (studio Demo)
7. Isolation (studio Demo)
8. Better Things (studio Demo)
9. Even If (take 1)
10. Archer’s Arrows (alternative Version)
11. Saturday Sun (alternative Version)
12. The Intriguer (studio)
13. Turn It Around
14. Eyes Grow Heavy
15. Two Minutes Of Silence
16. Nonsense Of Course

As for why this forum isn't as active as it has been in the past, it's fair to say that a lot of people have migrated to Facebook over the past few years. There seems to be a lot of action in the Finn Brothers Appreciation Society group, so I like check that a fair bit. In a lot ways it will never replace what we once had here, but still seems to have some decent discussion.

Original Post
Secret God (Stew) posted:

As for why this forum isn't as active as it has been in the past, it's fair to say that a lot of people have migrated to Facebook over the past few years. There seems to be a lot of action in the Finn Brothers Appreciation Society group, so I like check that a fair bit. In a lot ways it will never replace what we once had here, but still seems to have some decent discussion.

And me not being on the Facebook, I always feel like I'm probably missing out on stuff.  I virtually never look at the Forum any more, and got off the Tongue in the Mail email list years ago (does that still exist?).  Happy to get all this music, and I'm happy to see the activity here!

Good call JaimeB on Franks Dark Past!  I'll try to think of some others...

Pieces of Change is the one I was most hoping would show up here, but I can't say I'm "upset".  Slightly disappointed, but I can still listen to the recording I have!  I am very much looking forward to hearing all the new goodies.

And Facebook will have to continue to go on without me.  . I still manage to hear about most of the stuff I need to hear about without being on Facebook. 

First, yes, Jeremy has done some incredible work and he deserves a lot of praise for what looks like a stunning collection. Thank you Jeremy!

It's really hard to know what you're missing on a collection like this. We know Cemetery in the Rain was demoed but I've never heard anyone speak particularly highly of it, so I guess that's why it was left off. I am surprised there is no demo of "Grabbing by the Handfuls" or the Paul led track from 1985 that includes the lyric "Pulled up heaving from the bottom of the ocean" in the chorus (but sounds nothing like "When You Come").

The Temple of Low Men disc relies heavily on live takes, which isn't too surprising. I was always under the impression that the ToLM era was light on rarities, though I would have included the cover of "She's Not There".

The Woodface disc has many of the Finn Brothers demos that we've already heard, but I super excited to be able to hear the "All I Ask" demo and to finally have "Fields are Full of Your Kind".

I am also surprised that "Convent Girls" is on the Together Alone disc. It sounds so much like a Woodface track, but I guess it's not. Really looking forward to hearing that one. Was is really recorded at Karekare along with Newcastle Jam?

Yeah, it's hard to complain. I am thrilled and cannot wait to hear it. I'll finally be able to create what I call the Lost Crowded House Albums. One between Temple and Woodface and one after Together Alone.  Those track listings now look like this (not sequenced):

Another World Waiting
1. Anyone Can Tell
2. Sacred Cow
3. Dr. Livingston
4. Legs Are Gone
5. I Love You Dawn
6. Fields are Full of Your Kind
7. Creek Song/Left Hand (one song? two songs?)
8. My Telly's Gone Bung
9. Recurring Dream (Woodface b-side version)
10. Time Immemorial

Lost Tapes
1. Everything is Good For You
2. Instinct
3. Not the Girl You Think You Are
4. Anthem
5. Spirit of the Stairs
6. I Don't Know You
7. Taste of Something Divine
8. Help is Coming
9. Loose Tongue (rough mix)
10. I'm so Scared of Living I can't Compete
11. Be My Guest (which now looks like a Woodface demo, so maybe not)
12. Dots on the Shell (acoustic version) (maybe)
13. Most Unwanted (live) (maybe)

Off the top of my head, there are a number of tracks that were given commercial release that don't appear to have made it. The biggest omission, to me, is She's Not There.

Also missing are the extended versions of Don't Dream It's Over and World Where You Live, the 1996 remix of the former, the US-only mix of Distant Sun and the Alternative Mix of Instinct. 

Beyond that, it's hard to know what we're missing because we don't know what's in the archives. I had hoped to hear the following:

Demos or studio takes of the two songs that were merged to form Fall At Your Feet. It appears that an early version of the song is to be included and it's possible that we'll discover that the other portion is contained in another as-yet-unidentified track we're about to get, so I haven't lost all hope (anyone who's not familiar with The Same Language As Me will be in for a surprise...)

The slow arrangement of Locked Out. I'd have also liked to hear more outtakes or alternate mixes of material from Together Alone: Chris Bourke made mention that Bob Clearmountain left out a lot of sounds the band recorded in order to create less cluttered mixes. I suspect he made the right call, but I'd have loved a "kitchen sink mix".

There are many songs that CH played live that we assumed had been, at least, demoed either by Neil alone or the band in rehearsal. Frank's Dark Past, for example, seems so well-formed and well-known to the band that it's hard to think they just made it up on the spot.

I'm also a little disappointed that the most interesting demos from Neil and Tim's Woodface demo sessions didn't make the cut, presumably because they didn't end up being CH songs. They were first issued on Finn Bros singles (suggesting that they were being considered as Finn Bros recordings) before some of them made it onto a previous Woodface reissue. The fact that the number of songs from those sessions included on Woodface has now been increased is welcomed but the omission of the most interesting ones of the bunch - Prodigal Son, In Love WIth It All and Strangeness and Charm - is unfortunate.

Indeed. I sincerely hope that no-one misinterprets any discussion about what's missing as a lack of gratitude or excitement. I'm genuinely thrilled at the prospect of what's to come but I would have liked more band studio out-takes and fewer demos and I don't think it hurts to explore what was left out.

I also note that one of the tracks included on the fan club auction CDR of Intriguer outtakes remains missing: Blue Hotel. I was never sure if that was a solo demo or band recording.

And where are the studio recordings/demos of the songs that were auditioned in front of live audiences? Songs like The Only Way To Go Is Forwards and Beautiful Life or the second (but abandoned) version of Twice If You're Lucky?

(And while I'm flexing my memory muscles, also missing are the remixes of Pour Le Monde and She Called Up...)

Another vote for "Frank's Dark Past," that's a pretty big omission for me.

"Cars Collide" and "789" were omitted from the Intriguer bonus tracks. The latter's resemblance to the Sesame Street theme probably explains its absence. While the former had ideas that later appeared in "Saturday Sun," it's a pretty well-defined song in its own right.

Fingers crossed that the live version of "Twice If You're Lucky" is the second (superior IMO) version.

Jeremy confirmed on another thread that there isn't a studio version of "Tail of a Comet."

Over the moon excited about a studio versions of "Convent Girls," "Better Things" and "Newcastle Jam"!

Perfectchord posted:
lavar78 posted:

Fingers crossed that the live version of "Twice If You're Lucky" is the second (superior IMO) version.

Do we know yet which live version is on this re-release?

Not to my knowledge. Maybe Jaffaman knows. I was assuming it was the "original" guitar-based version from the early pre-Intriguer shows.

There may be things we know exist that aren't included, but keep in mind, Neil was the one who approved everything in the end. If something's not there, I would just as well assume that once Neil revisited it he realized it wasn't good enough, wasn't up to standards, and therefore we're not missing much.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful (I'm not) or contrarian, "not missing much" is in the ear of the beholder. I'm beyond thrilled with what we ARE getting, but am pretty sad that Cemetery in the Rain didn't show up. I don't know why I got a bit obsessed with that one a while back, but it piqued my imagination. Speaking for myself, I'd MUCH rather have even a "sub-par" track that is totally new to me than a demo/live/alternate version of a well-known one. Even Neil's throwaways are so much better than most of what is out there. Still, there are plenty of songs I've never even dreamed of in that list, so can't complain.

I'm so excited, though. It's going to be tough waiting till November, but after all, we've been waiting now since what, 2005? So a couple of months shouldn't be that bad. At least the end is in sight. 

And still holding out for new CH, after the Neil/Liam release.

What would be great (though it would drive completists like myself crazy) would be to compile a list of what is known to exist that STILL has never seen the light of day. "Frank's Dark Past", for example, is pretty widely "out there". (And what an ear worm. Gets stuck in my head for days, some times. Would love to know the story behind it).

Very impressed with the bonus tracks. For me just about everything I wanted is on there and the Cds are packed full. I'm glad space wasn't wasted on stuff that has been commercially released and easy to find like the 12" mixes, and She's Not There. Much rather have stuff never released or booted. Pieces of Change and Cemetery In the Rain would have been nice but their absence doesn't really fuss me.

brownie posted:

Pieces of Change is the one I was most hoping would show up here, but I can't say I'm "upset".  Slightly disappointed, but I can still listen to the recording I have!  I am very much looking forward to hearing all the new goodies.

An unfinished studio version of "Chainsaw" almost made it to the tracklist but Neil didn't think it was up to scratch, so it was scratched.

Paināporo posted:

First, yes, Jeremy has done some incredible work and he deserves a lot of praise for what looks like a stunning collection. Thank you Jeremy!

It's really hard to know what you're missing on a collection like this. We know Cemetery in the Rain was demoed but I've never heard anyone speak particularly highly of it, so I guess that's why it was left off. I am surprised there is no demo of "Grabbing by the Handfuls" or the Paul led track from 1985 that includes the lyric "Pulled up heaving from the bottom of the ocean" in the chorus (but sounds nothing like "When You Come").

The Temple of Low Men disc relies heavily on live takes, which isn't too surprising. I was always under the impression that the ToLM era was light on rarities, though I would have included the cover of "She's Not There".

The Woodface disc has many of the Finn Brothers demos that we've already heard, but I super excited to be able to hear the "All I Ask" demo and to finally have "Fields are Full of Your Kind".

I am also surprised that "Convent Girls" is on the Together Alone disc. It sounds so much like a Woodface track, but I guess it's not. Really looking forward to hearing that one. Was is really recorded at Karekare along with Newcastle Jam?

"Cemetery In The Rain" nearly made it but, being a Finn Brothers song that didn't make it to Woodface, it got the cut in the end. You'll hear it one day.

"Grabbing By The Handful" demo is similar to the live version. Had to lose one. Again, we'll make it available somewhere someday.

"Pulled up..." is "Creek Song", included on the Woodface bonus disc.

Couldn't find many good demos and out-takes from Temple of Low Men so it was a good opportunity to feature live recordings of songs from the album. I had invaluable help here from members of this forum.

"She's Not There" was considered but Neil doesn't rate it well (the Zombies original is so sublime), so away it went.

Yes, "Convent Girls" and "Newcastle Jam" are from Karekare, although "Convent Girls" had overdubs in Melbourne.

Hope this isn't spoiling the fun, explaining the omissions. Let me know if it is.

Add Reply

©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.