I'd just like to start off by thanking Jeremy for the amazing work he's put in with these re-releases. Personally I love the way these albums are presented. I honestly never imagined we would be getting so many bonus tracks. Especially never expected bonus discs for Afterglow, Time on Earth and Intriguer. Not to mention 32-page booklets with so much included!

BUT, let's be honest, there will always be fans who'll get upset over the exclusion of certain tracks. So I thought I'd get a post in early. Off the top of my head I can only think of a few songs I would have liked to have seen on the bonus disc track listing, but I'm certainly not making any complaints!

But I thought I'd ask you guys about rare songs you would have liked to have seen included. Feel free to list demos or live versions of album tracks that could have been present too.

Here's the track listing for the bonus discs. I'll try and update this post with your suggestions too! Let's try and get a complete list of "Shoulda been on there" tracks

CROWDED HOUSE: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Something So Strong (home Demo)
2. Hole In The River (studio Demo)
3. Love You ‘til The Day I Die (home Demo)
4. That’s What I Call Love (studio Demo)
5. Can’t Carry On (studio Demo)
6. Walking On The Pier (studio Demo)
7. Does Anyone Here Understand My Girlfriend (studio Demo)
8. Oblivion (studio Demo)
9. Walking On The Spot (studio Demo)
10. Something So Strong (studio Demo)
11. Now We’re Getting Somewhere (studio Demo)
12. Stranger Underneath Your Skin (home Demo)
13. Don’t Dream It’s Over (home Demo)
14. Left Hand (live)
15. Grabbing By The Handful (live)
16. World Where You Live (writing Demo)
17. Recurring Dream (original Version)

TEMPLE OF LOW MEN: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Whispers and Moans (home demo)
2. Never Be The Same (home demo)
3. Dream On (home demo)
4. Never Been Born (rehearsal excerpt)
5. Think I’m Gonna Change (home demo)
6. Into Temptation (home demo)
7. Fire Will Keep Me Warm (In The Lowlands home demo)
8. Love This Life (home demo)
9. Sister Madly (studio out-takes)
10. Mansion In The Slums (live)
11. This Is Massive (live)
12. Love This Life (live)
13. In The Lowlands (live)
14. I Feel Possessed (live)
15. Burnt Out Tree (live)
16. Mr Tambourine Man (live)
17. Eight Miles High (live)
18. So You Want To Be A Rock’n’Roll Star (live)
19. When You Come (live)
20. Sister Madly (live)
21. Better Be Home Soon (live)

WOODFACE: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Burnt Out Tree (HOME Demo)
2. I May Be Late (HOME Demo)
3. She Goes On (HOME Demo)
4. As Sure As I Am (HOME Demo)
5. My Legs Are Gone (STUDIO)
6. You Got Me Going (HOME Demo)
7. Italian Plastic (HOME Demo)
8. Be My Guest (HOME Demo)
9. Weather With You (HOME Demo)
10. Chocolate Cake (HOME Demo)
11. How Will You Go (HOME Demo)
12. It’s Only Natural (HOME Demo)
13. Four Seasons In One Day (HOME Demo)
14. There Goes God (HOME Demo)
15. Catherine Wheel (HOME Demo)
16. All I Ask (HOME Demo)
17. Fields Are Full Of Your Kind
18. Creek Song/Left Hand
19. Fall At Your Feet (EARLY Version Rehearsal)
20. The Burglar’s Song (MEDLEY)
       – Around The Uk In 7 Minutes (LIVE)
21. I’m Still Here (FULL Version)

TOGETHER ALONE: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Blue Smoke (home Demo)
2. Fingers Of Love (writing Demo)
3. Private Universe (home Demo)
4. The Same Language As Me (live)
5. Tail Of A Comet (live)
6. Distant Sun (writing Demo)
7. I Am In Love (band Demo)
8. Fingers Of Love (band Demo)
9. Fingers Of Love (alernative Studio Take)
10. Black And White Boy (early Rough Mix)
11. Locked Out (Zen Mix)
12. Newcastle Jam (studio Version)
13. Convent Girls
14. Zen Roxy

AFTERGLOW: 2016 Bonus CD
01. I am in love home (demo)
02. instinct home (demo)
03. spirit of the stairs home (demo)
04. I’m so scared of losing I can’t compete home (demo)
05. everything is good for you home (demo)
06. not the girl you think you are home (demo)
07. anthem
08. I don’t know you studio (demo)
09. taste of something divine studio (demo)
10. spirit of the stairs studio (demo)
11. loose tongue (rough mix)
12. instinct
13. everything is good for you
14. not the girl you think you are

TIME ON EARTH: 2016 Bonus CD
1. She Called Up (home demo)
2. A Sigh (home demo)
3. Here’s a Note (studio demo)
4. Purple Light (studio demo)
5. So Dramatic
6. Stare Me Out (alternative version)
7. Distance Across (studio demo)
8. Lost Island
9. Stare Me Out
10. Bound To Rescue (home demo)
11. Don’t Stop Now (home demo)
12. Won’t Be Silent (home demo)
13. People Are Like Suns (piano version)

INTRIGUER: 2016 Bonus CD
1. Only Way To Go Is Forward (live)
2. Beautiful Life (live)
3. Either Side Of The World (live)
4. Twice If You’re Lucky (live)
5. Bound To Rescue (live)
6. God Lives Over The Road (studio Demo)
7. Isolation (studio Demo)
8. Better Things (studio Demo)
9. Even If (take 1)
10. Archer’s Arrows (alternative Version)
11. Saturday Sun (alternative Version)
12. The Intriguer (studio)
13. Turn It Around
14. Eyes Grow Heavy
15. Two Minutes Of Silence
16. Nonsense Of Course

As for why this forum isn't as active as it has been in the past, it's fair to say that a lot of people have migrated to Facebook over the past few years. There seems to be a lot of action in the Finn Brothers Appreciation Society group, so I like check that a fair bit. In a lot ways it will never replace what we once had here, but still seems to have some decent discussion.

Original Post
Secret God (Stew) posted:

As for why this forum isn't as active as it has been in the past, it's fair to say that a lot of people have migrated to Facebook over the past few years. There seems to be a lot of action in the Finn Brothers Appreciation Society group, so I like check that a fair bit. In a lot ways it will never replace what we once had here, but still seems to have some decent discussion.

And me not being on the Facebook, I always feel like I'm probably missing out on stuff.  I virtually never look at the Forum any more, and got off the Tongue in the Mail email list years ago (does that still exist?).  Happy to get all this music, and I'm happy to see the activity here!

Good call JaimeB on Franks Dark Past!  I'll try to think of some others...

Pieces of Change is the one I was most hoping would show up here, but I can't say I'm "upset".  Slightly disappointed, but I can still listen to the recording I have!  I am very much looking forward to hearing all the new goodies.

And Facebook will have to continue to go on without me.  . I still manage to hear about most of the stuff I need to hear about without being on Facebook. 

First, yes, Jeremy has done some incredible work and he deserves a lot of praise for what looks like a stunning collection. Thank you Jeremy!

It's really hard to know what you're missing on a collection like this. We know Cemetery in the Rain was demoed but I've never heard anyone speak particularly highly of it, so I guess that's why it was left off. I am surprised there is no demo of "Grabbing by the Handfuls" or the Paul led track from 1985 that includes the lyric "Pulled up heaving from the bottom of the ocean" in the chorus (but sounds nothing like "When You Come").

The Temple of Low Men disc relies heavily on live takes, which isn't too surprising. I was always under the impression that the ToLM era was light on rarities, though I would have included the cover of "She's Not There".

The Woodface disc has many of the Finn Brothers demos that we've already heard, but I super excited to be able to hear the "All I Ask" demo and to finally have "Fields are Full of Your Kind".

I am also surprised that "Convent Girls" is on the Together Alone disc. It sounds so much like a Woodface track, but I guess it's not. Really looking forward to hearing that one. Was is really recorded at Karekare along with Newcastle Jam?

Yeah, it's hard to complain. I am thrilled and cannot wait to hear it. I'll finally be able to create what I call the Lost Crowded House Albums. One between Temple and Woodface and one after Together Alone.  Those track listings now look like this (not sequenced):

Another World Waiting
1. Anyone Can Tell
2. Sacred Cow
3. Dr. Livingston
4. Legs Are Gone
5. I Love You Dawn
6. Fields are Full of Your Kind
7. Creek Song/Left Hand (one song? two songs?)
8. My Telly's Gone Bung
9. Recurring Dream (Woodface b-side version)
10. Time Immemorial

Lost Tapes
1. Everything is Good For You
2. Instinct
3. Not the Girl You Think You Are
4. Anthem
5. Spirit of the Stairs
6. I Don't Know You
7. Taste of Something Divine
8. Help is Coming
9. Loose Tongue (rough mix)
10. I'm so Scared of Living I can't Compete
11. Be My Guest (which now looks like a Woodface demo, so maybe not)
12. Dots on the Shell (acoustic version) (maybe)
13. Most Unwanted (live) (maybe)

Off the top of my head, there are a number of tracks that were given commercial release that don't appear to have made it. The biggest omission, to me, is She's Not There.

Also missing are the extended versions of Don't Dream It's Over and World Where You Live, the 1996 remix of the former, the US-only mix of Distant Sun and the Alternative Mix of Instinct. 

Beyond that, it's hard to know what we're missing because we don't know what's in the archives. I had hoped to hear the following:

Demos or studio takes of the two songs that were merged to form Fall At Your Feet. It appears that an early version of the song is to be included and it's possible that we'll discover that the other portion is contained in another as-yet-unidentified track we're about to get, so I haven't lost all hope (anyone who's not familiar with The Same Language As Me will be in for a surprise...)

The slow arrangement of Locked Out. I'd have also liked to hear more outtakes or alternate mixes of material from Together Alone: Chris Bourke made mention that Bob Clearmountain left out a lot of sounds the band recorded in order to create less cluttered mixes. I suspect he made the right call, but I'd have loved a "kitchen sink mix".

There are many songs that CH played live that we assumed had been, at least, demoed either by Neil alone or the band in rehearsal. Frank's Dark Past, for example, seems so well-formed and well-known to the band that it's hard to think they just made it up on the spot.

I'm also a little disappointed that the most interesting demos from Neil and Tim's Woodface demo sessions didn't make the cut, presumably because they didn't end up being CH songs. They were first issued on Finn Bros singles (suggesting that they were being considered as Finn Bros recordings) before some of them made it onto a previous Woodface reissue. The fact that the number of songs from those sessions included on Woodface has now been increased is welcomed but the omission of the most interesting ones of the bunch - Prodigal Son, In Love WIth It All and Strangeness and Charm - is unfortunate.

Indeed. I sincerely hope that no-one misinterprets any discussion about what's missing as a lack of gratitude or excitement. I'm genuinely thrilled at the prospect of what's to come but I would have liked more band studio out-takes and fewer demos and I don't think it hurts to explore what was left out.

I also note that one of the tracks included on the fan club auction CDR of Intriguer outtakes remains missing: Blue Hotel. I was never sure if that was a solo demo or band recording.

And where are the studio recordings/demos of the songs that were auditioned in front of live audiences? Songs like The Only Way To Go Is Forwards and Beautiful Life or the second (but abandoned) version of Twice If You're Lucky?

(And while I'm flexing my memory muscles, also missing are the remixes of Pour Le Monde and She Called Up...)

Another vote for "Frank's Dark Past," that's a pretty big omission for me.

"Cars Collide" and "789" were omitted from the Intriguer bonus tracks. The latter's resemblance to the Sesame Street theme probably explains its absence. While the former had ideas that later appeared in "Saturday Sun," it's a pretty well-defined song in its own right.

Fingers crossed that the live version of "Twice If You're Lucky" is the second (superior IMO) version.

Jeremy confirmed on another thread that there isn't a studio version of "Tail of a Comet."

Over the moon excited about a studio versions of "Convent Girls," "Better Things" and "Newcastle Jam"!

Perfectchord posted:
lavar78 posted:

Fingers crossed that the live version of "Twice If You're Lucky" is the second (superior IMO) version.

Do we know yet which live version is on this re-release?

Not to my knowledge. Maybe Jaffaman knows. I was assuming it was the "original" guitar-based version from the early pre-Intriguer shows.

There may be things we know exist that aren't included, but keep in mind, Neil was the one who approved everything in the end. If something's not there, I would just as well assume that once Neil revisited it he realized it wasn't good enough, wasn't up to standards, and therefore we're not missing much.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful (I'm not) or contrarian, "not missing much" is in the ear of the beholder. I'm beyond thrilled with what we ARE getting, but am pretty sad that Cemetery in the Rain didn't show up. I don't know why I got a bit obsessed with that one a while back, but it piqued my imagination. Speaking for myself, I'd MUCH rather have even a "sub-par" track that is totally new to me than a demo/live/alternate version of a well-known one. Even Neil's throwaways are so much better than most of what is out there. Still, there are plenty of songs I've never even dreamed of in that list, so can't complain.

I'm so excited, though. It's going to be tough waiting till November, but after all, we've been waiting now since what, 2005? So a couple of months shouldn't be that bad. At least the end is in sight. 

And still holding out for new CH, after the Neil/Liam release.

What would be great (though it would drive completists like myself crazy) would be to compile a list of what is known to exist that STILL has never seen the light of day. "Frank's Dark Past", for example, is pretty widely "out there". (And what an ear worm. Gets stuck in my head for days, some times. Would love to know the story behind it).

Very impressed with the bonus tracks. For me just about everything I wanted is on there and the Cds are packed full. I'm glad space wasn't wasted on stuff that has been commercially released and easy to find like the 12" mixes, and She's Not There. Much rather have stuff never released or booted. Pieces of Change and Cemetery In the Rain would have been nice but their absence doesn't really fuss me.

brownie posted:

Pieces of Change is the one I was most hoping would show up here, but I can't say I'm "upset".  Slightly disappointed, but I can still listen to the recording I have!  I am very much looking forward to hearing all the new goodies.

An unfinished studio version of "Chainsaw" almost made it to the tracklist but Neil didn't think it was up to scratch, so it was scratched.

Paināporo posted:

First, yes, Jeremy has done some incredible work and he deserves a lot of praise for what looks like a stunning collection. Thank you Jeremy!

It's really hard to know what you're missing on a collection like this. We know Cemetery in the Rain was demoed but I've never heard anyone speak particularly highly of it, so I guess that's why it was left off. I am surprised there is no demo of "Grabbing by the Handfuls" or the Paul led track from 1985 that includes the lyric "Pulled up heaving from the bottom of the ocean" in the chorus (but sounds nothing like "When You Come").

The Temple of Low Men disc relies heavily on live takes, which isn't too surprising. I was always under the impression that the ToLM era was light on rarities, though I would have included the cover of "She's Not There".

The Woodface disc has many of the Finn Brothers demos that we've already heard, but I super excited to be able to hear the "All I Ask" demo and to finally have "Fields are Full of Your Kind".

I am also surprised that "Convent Girls" is on the Together Alone disc. It sounds so much like a Woodface track, but I guess it's not. Really looking forward to hearing that one. Was is really recorded at Karekare along with Newcastle Jam?

"Cemetery In The Rain" nearly made it but, being a Finn Brothers song that didn't make it to Woodface, it got the cut in the end. You'll hear it one day.

"Grabbing By The Handful" demo is similar to the live version. Had to lose one. Again, we'll make it available somewhere someday.

"Pulled up..." is "Creek Song", included on the Woodface bonus disc.

Couldn't find many good demos and out-takes from Temple of Low Men so it was a good opportunity to feature live recordings of songs from the album. I had invaluable help here from members of this forum.

"She's Not There" was considered but Neil doesn't rate it well (the Zombies original is so sublime), so away it went.

Yes, "Convent Girls" and "Newcastle Jam" are from Karekare, although "Convent Girls" had overdubs in Melbourne.

Hope this isn't spoiling the fun, explaining the omissions. Let me know if it is.

Jaffaman posted:

Hope this isn't spoiling the fun, explaining the omissions. Let me know if it is.

Nope, interesting to hear the reasoning behind why certain tracks didn't make it.

One track I've always liked is Forever Friends, but I assumed it was just an on the spot kinda thing like Green Rose for George so wasn't expecting a studio version or anything. 

Really looking forward to hearing a better quality version of Grabbing by the Handful.

So thrilled about these bonus tracks. Can't wait to hear them all.

The only song I was hoping to hear, but I guess it was either a problem with MTV who owns the rights or Neil thinking that it wasn't good enough, is Most Unwanted from the Most Wanted show. It's so much better than the one on the fan club cd

lavar78 posted:
Perfectchord posted:
lavar78 posted:

Do we know yet which live version is on this re-release?

Not to my knowledge. Maybe Jaffaman knows. I was assuming it was the "original" guitar-based version from the early pre-Intriguer shows.

There are a few added details on the UK iTunes track listings:

The five Intriguer bonus disc live tracks are listed as recorded at Leigh Sawmill Cafe in New Zealand - 22nd February 2008, so indeed the pre-Intriguer version which is among the Kitchen Sink II tracks at neilfinn.com

Similarly, the live "When You Come" on the Temple bonus disc is from the Ventura Theatre on the Woodface tour with Tim in the band.

So much to digest in these bonus disc track listings but for me these curiosities in particular stand out:

"Tail Of A Comet" and "Convent Girls" are represented on the Together Alone bonus disc - I remember hearing both of these songs on the Woodface tour. Presumably this means they were written after Woodface was recorded and then revisited/considered for inclusion on Together Alone?

Also, the rough mix of "Loose Tongue" on the Afterglow bonus disc reveals a link between late era Crowded House Mk.1 and Neil's solo career which is also interesting as it is a co-write with Jim Moginie.

These bonus discs are FAR more comprehensive that I'd imagined they ever would be. We're essential receiving the much-sought after box set in multiple parts. 

Cudos to Jeremy here - it must have been testing to hold back such exciting details until now.

Paul H posted:

...The biggest omission, to me, is She's Not There.

Also missing are the extended versions of Don't Dream It's Over and World Where You Live, the 1996 remix of the former, the US-only mix of Distant Sun and the Alternative Mix of Instinct. 

Beyond that, it's hard to know what we're missing because we don't know what's in the archives. I had hoped to hear the following:

Demos or studio takes of the two songs that were merged to form Fall At Your Feet. It appears that an early version of the song is to be included and it's possible that we'll discover that the other portion is contained in another as-yet-unidentified track we're about to get, so I haven't lost all hope (anyone who's not familiar with The Same Language As Me will be in for a surprise...)

The slow arrangement of Locked Out. I'd have also liked to hear more outtakes or alternate mixes of material from Together Alone: Chris Bourke made mention that Bob Clearmountain left out a lot of sounds the band recorded in order to create less cluttered mixes. I suspect he made the right call, but I'd have loved a "kitchen sink mix".

There are many songs that CH played live that we assumed had been, at least, demoed either by Neil alone or the band in rehearsal. Frank's Dark Past, for example, seems so well-formed and well-known to the band that it's hard to think they just made it up on the spot.

I'm also a little disappointed that the most interesting demos from Neil and Tim's Woodface demo sessions didn't make the cut, presumably because they didn't end up being CH songs. They were first issued on Finn Bros singles (suggesting that they were being considered as Finn Bros recordings) before some of them made it onto a previous Woodface reissue. The fact that the number of songs from those sessions included on Woodface has now been increased is welcomed but the omission of the most interesting ones of the bunch - Prodigal Son, In Love WIth It All and Strangeness and Charm - is unfortunate.

Extended versions and remixes were decided against because Neil didn't like them or, in some cases, they just weren't different enough from the original mixes. It's painful for completists but then most completists have or can access the originals anyway.

"Fall At Your Feet" with its earlier, different verse is there. Not a studio quality recording but fascinating. I also found a really ropey rehearsal recording of the "I'm really close tonight" section buried in the middle of a 24-track tape and gave it a quick mix but it was turned down. Musically, that's a good move. Historically, it's worth hearing sometime so I'll get it out there in a doco one day.

The only recordings of the slow "Locked Out" arrangement that I could find were the Zen mix (included here) and the live at Fleadh recording.

There's no demo of "Frank's Dark Past".

It would have been nice to have had all the 1989 Finn Brothers demos there but there wasn't space and neither Neil nor Tim were keen on including the non-Woodface songs.

Paul H posted:

Indeed. I sincerely hope that no-one misinterprets any discussion about what's missing as a lack of gratitude or excitement. I'm genuinely thrilled at the prospect of what's to come but I would have liked more band studio out-takes and fewer demos and I don't think it hurts to explore what was left out.

I also note that one of the tracks included on the fan club auction CDR of Intriguer outtakes remains missing: Blue Hotel. I was never sure if that was a solo demo or band recording.

And where are the studio recordings/demos of the songs that were auditioned in front of live audiences? Songs like The Only Way To Go Is Forwards and Beautiful Life or the second (but abandoned) version of Twice If You're Lucky?

(And while I'm flexing my memory muscles, also missing are the remixes of Pour Le Monde and She Called Up...)

Don't worry about this discussion being misinterpreted. It's all part of the excitement to discuss it all. From Day 1 I knew this sort of thread would pop up on Frenz Forum. Every time we added to or subtracted from the tracklist, I thought of everyone on the forum and what they were likely to say!

I would have liked more studio out-takes too but, in most cases, they just came across as slightly sloppier versions of the final takes, with mumbled lyrics. While I was often ok with that, Neil wasn't.

"Blue Hotel" was a solo recording and wasn't written for Crowded House, so wasn't considered, initially. I suggested it to Neil at the last minute but it was too late by then. Never mind. I must add it to the Kitchen Sink III on neilfinn.com one day!

I decided to only go with one version each of "The Only Way To Go Is Forwards" and "Beautiful Life". The live version of the former is unbeatable. The studio version was done pretty early on in the pre-production stage of the album and didn't match the energy of the live recording. The studio version of "Beautiful Life" isn't bad but it too wasn't completed.

lavar78 posted:

Another vote for "Frank's Dark Past," that's a pretty big omission for me.

"Cars Collide" and "789" were omitted from the Intriguer bonus tracks. The latter's resemblance to the Sesame Street theme probably explains its absence. While the former had ideas that later appeared in "Saturday Sun," it's a pretty well-defined song in its own right.

Jeremy confirmed on another thread that there isn't a studio version of "Tail of a Comet."

Over the moon excited about a studio versions of "Convent Girls," "Better Things" and "Newcastle Jam"!

"Frank's Dark Past" - Yeah, I probably could have added the live version. Thought the subject matter was a bit obscure for an international audience all these years later. Ah well.

"Cars Collide" - I could only find a very murky sounding single-mic-in-the-room early band demo of this. A good version would have been cool. Listening to it now... very Smiths-like in places.

"789" is there as "The Intriguer".

The live version of "Twice If You're Lucky" is from Leigh Sawmill, which you've heard, but remixed by Eddie. I'd hoped to include one of the very different, darker versions but Neil didn't like 'em.

Glad you're excited about those three studio tracks you mentioned. So am I!

Jim B. posted:

I mentioned in another forum that "Good Luck Morning" was an intriguing title that didn't show up.  Maybe it doesn't exist, I think it was only known from the Bourke book.

The song does exist. It was a studio demo recorded in 1989, I think while Nick was out of the band. Neil dislikes it so it's not included.

Steve Shealy posted:

At the risk of sounding ungrateful (I'm not) or contrarian, "not missing much" is in the ear of the beholder. I'm beyond thrilled with what we ARE getting, but am pretty sad that Cemetery in the Rain didn't show up...

Yeah, it's a catchy riff. You'll hear it eventually.

Camus posted:

Very impressed with the bonus tracks. For me just about everything I wanted is on there and the Cds are packed full. I'm glad space wasn't wasted on stuff that has been commercially released and easy to find like the 12" mixes, and She's Not There. Much rather have stuff never released or booted. Pieces of Change and Cemetery In the Rain would have been nice but their absence doesn't really fuss me.

Hey, nice to see you, Camus. Someone from our frankly dark past. How've you been?

thejera posted:
One track I've always liked is Forever Friends, but I assumed it was just an on the spot kinda thing like Green Rose for George so wasn't expecting a studio version or anything.

Didn't come across a demo or studio version. It was tempting to grab all the one-off songs from the live shows and put them on but I didn't think it would jell in this context, or might sound like a repeat of one of Peter's excellent fan club compilations.

Patjoller posted:

So thrilled about these bonus tracks. Can't wait to hear them all.

The only song I was hoping to hear, but I guess it was either a problem with MTV who owns the rights or Neil thinking that it wasn't good enough, is Most Unwanted from the Most Wanted show. It's so much better than the one on the fan club cd

Various problems with this one, rights and musical quality being the main ones.

The Ligature posted:
"Tail Of A Comet" and "Convent Girls" are represented on the Together Alone bonus disc - I remember hearing both of these songs on the Woodface tour. Presumably this means they were written after Woodface was recorded and then revisited/considered for inclusion on Together Alone?

Also, the rough mix of "Loose Tongue" on the Afterglow bonus disc reveals a link between late era Crowded House Mk.1 and Neil's solo career which is also interesting as it is a co-write with Jim Moginie.

These bonus discs are FAR more comprehensive that I'd imagined they ever would be. We're essential receiving the much-sought after box set in multiple parts. 

Cudos to Jeremy here - it must have been testing to hold back such exciting details until now.

The Woodface Tour continued into 1992. Many of the songs for Together Alone were written in 1991/2 after Woodface had been released. Recording for Together Alone began in late '92.

"Loose Tongue"... check out page 330 of Chris Bourke's "Something So Strong".

Thanks, The Ligature. You're right... I've been dying to share all this with everyone. Should probably hold back a bit more. Giving everything away before you get to read the liner notes and interviews in the books! And yes, this is the box set but bigger and better. Just not in a box.

Many artists are perfectionists—perhaps to a fault—and Neil is no different. When I asked Neil and Nick about "Turn It Around" missing the cut for Intriguer, he and Nick tried to explain that they didn't like the studio version. They were shocked when I said I'd heard it (as the bonus track on iTunes) and were still wondering. It's (still) my favorite from the sessions and one of my all-time favorite Crowdies songs.

Thanks for all the info, Jaffaman! "You've given everything, Frank!"

Jaffaman,

I sure remember "Same Language As Me" being the origins of "Private Universe" on the Woodface tour, so there's plenty of transition between the two albums. Glad that song is represented in the bonus tracks. Plus the preview of the "Private Universe" home demo on UK iTunes shows how different that song could have ended up. Wow.

The Atlantic ocean has separated me from my copy of the Chris Bourke book for many years, but retrieving it is at the next opportunity is on my to-do list now.

At the risk of trawling for more information which the liner notes may cover - can you provide any insight into the kinds of media the various bonus tracks were sourced from? 24 track tape was mentioned but I'm guessing there will be anything from soundboard DAT tapes for some live recordings to perhaps even 4 track cassette recordings for the earliest demos? Did all of the work that was done on the archival material take place at Roundhead in Auckland? and out of curiosity - where are such valuable/historical resources typically stored for all these years?

Thanks again!

Don't know where to start! First things first:

1. Thank you Jeremy for all your hard work curating and making recommendations. A fabulous job to have (and one we're all envious of) but possibly also VERY hard because there must have been some tough decisions to make.

2. Thank you for your point by point responses. I'm sure these details will crop up in the new booklets but I for one really do appreciate having feedback on what's NOT there because, well, omissions aren't likely to be discussed in the booklets, are they?!

3. I'm not disappointed by the lack of the many released alternative mixes (because I have them and, perversely, am rather glad my painstaking attempts at definitive needledrops haven't been wasted!) but I think it's sad that Neil didn't feel them worthwhile. (They were worthwhile enough to make us fork out to buy them back in the day !!) I'd particularly take issue with him regarding She's Not There. I think CH's version is wonderful.

The one comment that really piqued my interest is your response to Blue Hotel. It was included on a five-disc Intriguer Outtakes CDR that Peter auctioned for the fan club. I assumed from it's appearance on that disc that it was a band rehearsal (even though it didn't sound like one). I wonder why it was included on that disc if it wasn't a band recording...

I'm also surprised at your observation that most of the studio outtakes were just sloppy attempts. Given their penchant for improvisation I really expected a few meanderings and humorous breakdowns etc. Clearly, they were more serious in the studio than they are on stage!

And finally (for now!): Frank's Dark Past was an IMPROV??? *insert lost for words emoticon*

This probably needs to be in a different thread, but we used stereo cassette, 4-track cassette, 1/4" stereo, 1/2" stereo, 1/4" 8-track, 2 inch 24-track, DAT, CD-R, Hi8 digital 8-track, Dolby SR, Dolby B, Dolby C, Non-Dolby, DBX, hi-speed, lo-speed, no-speed, digital files, you name it!

The 24-track transfers were done at Roundhead, mostly by Neil Baldock, in 2006. I did more last year but I don't think we used any of those in the end. The majority of the tapes needed baking at Stebbing Studios first before being transferred to Pro Tools.

The 8-track transfers were also done at Roundhead by Neil B and me. Neil sometimes recorded with the vari-speed on so I often had to guess what the original speed would have been.
The stereo cassettes, 4-track cassettes, DATs and Hi8 Digital multitrack tapes were transferred by me at RNZ.

Other 1/4" tapes were transferred at various times in various places and a few tapes from various sources were transferred by Capitol Records /Universal in the US in 2005/2016.

Tape storage... there's a whole 'nother story.

Jaffaman posted:

"Frank's Dark Past" - Yeah, I probably could have added the live version. Thought the subject matter was a bit obscure for an international audience all these years later. Ah well.

As part of that "international audience", what IS it about?

I would also like to sincerely offer my thanks for an outstanding job, Jeremy. 

I'm surprised that the 24-track tapes were transferred at Roundhead (and so long ago!). I assumed they'd all live in a big vault at Capitol and would have been transferred by Universal at whatever their favourite studio is. Your description sounds positively home-made!

Jaffaman this is tremendous.  Thank you!!

Can I ask two more quick omission questions?

1) Were 5.1 mixes considered, and are they possible in the future or is Neil against them in principle?

2) Those more "wild" Youth extended mixes of TA material mentioned in Bourke and sounded so tantalizing---were they considered or was that all hype (so to speak)?

Thanks for the peek behind the curtain!!

Jaffaman,

I must add my thanks as well! Loving the behind-the-scenes details on the reissue bonus tracks! 

Thanks 

Can I ask , while we`re delving into this topic, when and how the project morphed from a Rarities Box to a back-catalogue-remaster/ rerelease-with-bonus-tracks?

Cheers!

Mike

Yes, I do want to say thank you to Jaffaman for taking the time to respond to questions. I've been a CH fan since DDIO put a tiny dent in the UK top 40 back in 1987 and I never thought I'd have the opportunity to discuss the content of their albums with the man who's done so much work behind the scenes. I feel very very privileged.

Jaffaman posted:

The 24-track transfers were done at Roundhead, mostly by Neil Baldock, in 2006.

I assume you are talking about unreleased studio recordings, not the albums proper? Any details on the new transfers and mastering of the original albums would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've always thought their performance of Distant Sun on the Tonight Show is easily one of their very best performances I've ever heard, and I even speculated it might make it in the box set. Even though it didn't, I'm not sure what the ownership issues are, or if Crowded House has any access to that recording, but man, it would be wonderful to have a nice clean copy of it someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRf9a98BMRc

Paul H posted:

I'm surprised that the 24-track tapes were transferred at Roundhead (and so long ago!). I assumed they'd all live in a big vault at Capitol and would have been transferred by Universal at whatever their favourite studio is. Your description sounds positively home-made!

There are a number of big vaults here and there.

As somebody who's not a regular on these forums (well, I suppose I crop up regularly when there are tours!), I had no idea about most of these rarities. I knew about some of the most famous, but I've heard almost none of them; it wasn't until this thread that I learned of some things like "Frank's Dark Past"! (Hint hint anybody...)

To tell the truth I was not even aware the reissues were actually coming. Just a couple of weeks ago I was telling a friend about how much I hoped the rumoured box set of rarities would see the light of day sooner rather than later. Suffice it to say I am absolutely thrilled, and I'm gobsmacked at how extensive the reissues are - the bonuses are astonishingly good value, it's like I'm getting seven extra albums.

My point is, I want to say a big thanks to Jaffaman for all the hard work and all the informative posts in this thread. These details are absolutely fascinating to me and just serving to make me more excited. Must I wait over a month to get my hands on the reissues!

Jim B. posted:

Jaffaman this is tremendous.  Thank you!!

Can I ask two more quick omission questions?

1) Were 5.1 mixes considered, and are they possible in the future or is Neil against them in principle?

2) Those more "wild" Youth extended mixes of TA material mentioned in Bourke and sounded so tantalizing---were they considered or was that all hype (so to speak)?

Thanks for the peek behind the curtain!!

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. Even the where-is-the-rare-remixed-recording-of-Neil-eating-lunch-which-has-never-been-heard-by-anyone-therefore-it-should-have-been-on-it-and-what-a-rip-off-I'm-not-going-to-buy-it-now people

5.1 mixes were considered... by me, anyway. Never could get anyone else interested in the idea, least of all Neil. It's expensive to do, especially for seven albums at once. Still, I like to hope.

Didn't come across any "wild sound" mixes on the TA tapes. Not sure if they were added to the multi-tracks or were to be flown in during the mixdown. Couldn't check all the multi-tracks due to time and cost. I know there's a quote in the book about Bob leaving all their collected sounds off but I reckon it's exaggerated.

MiKE42 posted:

Jaffaman,

I must add my thanks as well! Loving the behind-the-scenes details on the reissue bonus tracks! 

Thanks 

Can I ask , while we`re delving into this topic, when and how the project morphed from a Rarities Box to a back-catalogue-remaster/ rerelease-with-bonus-tracks?

Cheers!

Mike

My pleasure. I've kept it all bottled up for so long.

It was originally supposed to be a US Capitol Records box set of unreleased, rare, and live tracks in time for the band's 20th anniversary in 2006. For various reasons we kept missing deadlines. Then Parlophone in the UK released Farewell To The World, the band reformed, EMI and Capitol started disintegrating, etc..

Every year I was told the project would be picked up later in the year until, last year, it started coming true! The idea from management - or was it a record company? - was to release 2CD deluxe editions of the first four albums.

Then Time On Earth and Intriguer were added. I had the option of splitting up Afterglow and adding the tracks to their relevant albums but both Neil and I think it works really well as an album in its own right. Plus, I needed somewhere to put the 1995-6 era tracks, including those recorded for Recurring Dream.

Paul H posted:

Yes, I do want to say thank you to Jaffaman for taking the time to respond to questions. I've been a CH fan since DDIO put a tiny dent in the UK top 40 back in 1987 and I never thought I'd have the opportunity to discuss the content of their albums with the man who's done so much work behind the scenes. I feel very very privileged.

Nice of you to say! I've long admired your passion for the music and the audio craft, on this forum and elsewhere, Paul H. All this was done with everyone here in mind, believe me.

harrytrousers posted:

So I looked up page 330 of something so strong. I think Jaffaman is saying that "Loose Tongue" was the "dark heavy song" they tried to record for "Recurring Dream".. Which means it would have Hester and Seymour on it I guess.

Got it.

Jaffaman posted:
Paul H posted:

Nice of you to say! I've long admired your passion for the music and the audio craft, on this forum and elsewhere, Paul H. All this was done with everyone here in mind, believe me.

You make me blush, Jeremy. Seriously though, I've done a lot of work (and spent a lot of money) curating a collection of their releases, I keep my own discography and, although I've never so much as stepped foot in a recording studio, I'm fascinated by the process of making records. So, to be able to chat with someone who is first-hand involved, really is something special. You are Crowded House's equivalent of Giles Martin   and I excitedly scoop up any and every bit of insight into the process you can offer.

Another question (I'm sorry): will the booklets provide recording date and/or source info for each track (original albums as well as bonus material)? If not, might there be a way of making this available? Along with hearing all this new material, it would be fascinating to know more about the recording processes, which tracks were recorded when, in what order etc etc. 

Jaffaman posted:
Then Time On Earth and Intriguer were added. I had the option of splitting up Afterglow and adding the tracks to their relevant albums but both Neil and I think it works really well as an album in its own right. Plus, I needed somewhere to put the 1995-6 era tracks, including those recorded for Recurring Dream.

And so far (this may change when hearing all the tracks) this the most brilliant release of them all. The bonus tracks here looks promising.

Can I ask you why most unwanted wasn't included ?

Axver posted:

As somebody who's not a regular on these forums (well, I suppose I crop up regularly when there are tours!), I had no idea about most of these rarities. I knew about some of the most famous, but I've heard almost none of them; it wasn't until this thread that I learned of some things like "Frank's Dark Past"! (Hint hint anybody...)

To tell the truth I was not even aware the reissues were actually coming. Just a couple of weeks ago I was telling a friend about how much I hoped the rumoured box set of rarities would see the light of day sooner rather than later. Suffice it to say I am absolutely thrilled, and I'm gobsmacked at how extensive the reissues are - the bonuses are astonishingly good value, it's like I'm getting seven extra albums.

My point is, I want to say a big thanks to Jaffaman for all the hard work and all the informative posts in this thread. These details are absolutely fascinating to me and just serving to make me more excited. Must I wait over a month to get my hands on the reissues!

Thanks, Axver. I do believe it's good value. Each bonus disc is a whole album's worth or more. The books have great pictures, all the lyrics, liner notes from either the producers or music writers who know their CH, technical notes from me and interviews I did with Neil, Nick and Tim in July, talking about the songs, recordings and artwork. And the boxes look so good stacked up in a row.

Paul H posted:
You make me blush, Jeremy. Seriously though, I've done a lot of work (and spent a lot of money) curating a collection of their releases, I keep my own discography and, although I've never so much as stepped foot in a recording studio, I'm fascinated by the process of making records. So, to be able to chat with someone who is first-hand involved, really is something special. You are Crowded House's equivalent of Giles Martin   and I excitedly scoop up any and every bit of insight into the process you can offer.

Another question (I'm sorry): will the booklets provide recording date and/or source info for each track (original albums as well as bonus material)? If not, might there be a way of making this available? Along with hearing all this new material, it would be fascinating to know more about the recording processes, which tracks were recorded when, in what order etc etc. 

Name dropping a bit here I know, but have you heard my interview with Giles Martin, talking about George Harrison? Wish I had Giles' ears and skills, let alone his projects!

I've researched the date and location info as well as I could for the bonus tracks. No further technical info for the original album is listed. Didn't have access to the documentation (time, money, etc).

This is fantastic stuff! 

Im thrilled how this project has finally turned out - it has certainly surpassed my expectations. I can't wait for Nov. Thanks so much for all the hard work put into this Jaffaman and being so responsive to all the questions. It is amazing how the Forum has suddenly sprung to life again!

I think the content for the bonus discs is bang on and it has been great to get an understanding of why some things that we may have expected aren't there (I'm happy for Franks Dark Past and Pieces of Change to stay unique to the Homebrew club CD given there are no studio versions). 

My only question would be if there was any material post Intriguer available for consideration? I know mention was made at the time of the band being briefly in the studio with some new songs after the Intriguer tour but nothing ever came from it. I always wondered how much was actually achieved during those sessions...

@Jaffaman congratulations and a million times thank you, again!  the mythical 'boxed set'!  

these releases qualify as credit card emergency spending for me.  this thread is so much fun!  

as much as neil has talked about it, over the years, i'm a little surprised that 'throw your arms around me' wasn't thrown in somewhere?  i know, plenty of exposure, but still never official?!  maybe saving it for next c h album 

Throw your arms around me. Good call. Maybe it's been held over for the Finn deluxe version like some of the Finn bros demos from the era that became Woodface. This will then link into the reissue of Everyone is here with the Visconti mixes and then Neil's first two solo albums. Or am I being greedy?

Jaffaman posted:
Patjoller posted:

Can I ask you why most unwanted wasn't included ?

Neil didn't like it much.

First he didn't like She's Not There, then he didn't like Most Unwanted. Frankly, while I love his music, I don't agree with his taste in his own work! Man's a fool to himself!

Most Unwanted is absolutely terrific. It's possibly the ONE recording I wish I had a high quality version of; everything I've heard has been recorded badly.

Steve Shealy posted:

At the risk of sounding ungrateful (I'm not) or contrarian, "not missing much" is in the ear of the beholder. I'm beyond thrilled with what we ARE getting, but am pretty sad that Cemetery in the Rain didn't show up. I don't know why I got a bit obsessed with that one a while back, but it piqued my imagination. Speaking for myself, I'd MUCH rather have even a "sub-par" track that is totally new to me than a demo/live/alternate version of a well-known one. Even Neil's throwaways are so much better than most of what is out there. Still, there are plenty of songs I've never even dreamed of in that list, so can't complain.

I'm so excited, though. It's going to be tough waiting till November, but after all, we've been waiting now since what, 2005? So a couple of months shouldn't be that bad. At least the end is in sight. 

And still holding out for new CH, after the Neil/Liam release.

Totally agree Steve - really hope they can keep the momentum up with a new album tour in the not to distant future ...

Neil said on 60 minutes that "they love playing together - they just aren't doing it too much at the moment.."  - he used the car parked up in the garage analargy again. That's given me enough encouragement to suggest there's nothing final about this gig or music issue.

Jeremy , Thanks for all your hard work on this project (thanks to Neil and the band also)..

This has been a Holy Grail for me and so many others , and I now can't wait .

Really want to buy the vinyl / CD's - the whole lot !

Woah, some really interesting responses from a lot of people! Will re-read through all these again

Meanwhile, like I mentioned in the original post, I had planned to edit it with updates to all the songs not present in these re-releases. And then this message popped up...

Deb, is there a reason for this restriction? And any possibility you could remove it? I seem to recall being able to edit my Frenz Forum posts all the way back in 2001 when I first joined up.

Hello all---

First, thanks Jaffaman for your years of work on the reissue project.  I admit it...I lost hope years ago.  But you were persistent, and that all-too-rare trait has resulted in a huge blessing for the fans.  We all know that no one forced you all to release this "new" music, and the fact that you've all spent so much time, energy, and money making it happen shows how much you and the band care about the fans.

Thoughts...where to begin...?

[1] So...I know this is a discussion about the bonus tracks, but Jaffaman, how are the remasters?  TEMPLE always sounded a little tinny to my ears, so I'm wondering if the remaster gave it a little more body without being too loud and noisy.

[2] I find it curious that the Byrdhouse tracks were included but not "She's Not There."  I would have expected there to be publishing/rights issues with including the old Byrds songs.

[3] I love that fact that one of my all-time favorite CH tracks, "Left Hand," appears not once, not twice, but [counting the AFTERGLOW version] three times on these reissues.  If they could have combined the energy and guitar riffs of the live versions with the better mix of the studio version, this could have been one of their best recordings.  I will always feel that "Left Hand" and "Recurring Dream" were shoulda-been hits that just missed their chance.

[4] I find it interesting that a few tracks weren't included because Neil didn't like them.  I understand him perhaps not wanting a sub-par recording or a clearly unfinished tune on one of the bonus discs.  But it's surprising that he doesn’t want a song like "Most Unwanted" included.  Is it the best song they ever created?  Certainly not.  But it's part of their story and is an unreleased tune.  And, for what it's worth, it's got a great chorus that simply soars.  At least we have the fan club live version.

And, yeah, it hurts to know that songs like "Good Luck Morning" aren't being released, because, in the case of that one, Peter Green himself once wrote that it's one of his favorites.

But...wow.  So much music coming our way very soon.  It must be incredibly gratifying to finally, after all these years, see it being released.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jaffaman,

Regards,

mattl

[4] I find it interesting that a few tracks weren't included because Neil didn't like them.  I understand him perhaps not wanting a sub-par recording or a clearly unfinished tune on one of the bonus discs.  But it's surprising that he doesn’t want a song like "Most Unwanted" included.  Is it the best song they ever created?  Certainly not.  But it's part of their story and is an unreleased tune.  And, for what it's worth, it's got a great chorus that simply soars.  At least we have the fan club live version.

And the MTV version is far greater than the one the fan club cd

Patjoller posted:

And the MTV version is far greater than the one the fan club cd

The MTV version is incredible! It is by far the best Crowded House song that never saw the light of day.

Okay, I just listened to the MTV version for the first time.  The only version I could find is a rather crude one on YouTube that was sourced from a horrible videocassette that cuts off the end of the song.

But, looking past the technical shortcomings of the recording, I much prefer the live fan club version.  I like the way the verse almost has a reggae feel to the groove, and I think the melody is more suited to the song being arranged as a midtempo ballad.  And I really don't care for the sax.  Familiarity and the fact that I heard the fan club version first probably has something to do with it as well.

But it's clear you both love the MTV one.  I'm happy we have both versions to appreciate.

mattl

blueno1se posted:

Erm, I Walk Away?  Appears on the tracklisting for the Aussie CD release but not in the vinyl or anywhere on the USA/UK one?  Hmmm.

Must be an error with the listing, not the actual releases. IWA has been part of the worldwide tracklist for years. Can't imagine it going missing at this point, at least for the CD. Vinyl will be interesting, seeing as the original Aus vinyl had Can't Carry On but no IWA, whereas the original international vinyl had IWA but no CCO. I still wouldn't be surprised to see both on the re-release, if that doesn't make the album too long to cut well.

GeoffR posted:
blueno1se posted:

Erm, I Walk Away?  Appears on the tracklisting for the Aussie CD release but not in the vinyl or anywhere on the USA/UK one?  Hmmm.

Must be an error with the listing, not the actual releases. IWA has been part of the worldwide tracklist for years. Can't imagine it going missing at this point, at least for the CD. Vinyl will be interesting, seeing as the original Aus vinyl had Can't Carry On but no IWA, whereas the original international vinyl had IWA but no CCO. I still wouldn't be surprised to see both on the re-release, if that doesn't make the album too long to cut well.

Someone ought to fix all those listings, then.  Too much confusion.  Know Your Product!

Whysus posted:
My only question would be if there was any material post Intriguer available for consideration? I know mention was made at the time of the band being briefly in the studio with some new songs after the Intriguer tour but nothing ever came from it. I always wondered how much was actually achieved during those sessions...

There are two tracks on the Intriguer bonus disc that began life in those post-Intriguer sessions. They're the only two tracks in the entire collection I haven't heard yet because they were still being worked on in LA with Nick Launay when we finalised the tracklist. "Two Minutes of Silence" and "Nonsense Of Course".

disembodied carie posted:
as much as neil has talked about it, over the years, i'm a little surprised that 'throw your arms around me' wasn't thrown in somewhere?  i know, plenty of exposure, but still never official?!  maybe saving it for next c h album 

The Roxy '87 version was originally slated for the box set in 2006 but was later added to the double CD edition of The Very Very Best Of Crowded House . It was also on various CD singles and The Other Enz. So it's out there and we didn't think it needed repeating. There's a good version on Farewell To The World too. Thinking of it now, perhaps we ought to have found another really good live version and put it on but by then we were concentrating on finding other things.

The studio attempts couldn't compare with the spirit of the live versions and Neil didn't want to include them. Tim put the 1990 Finn Brothers version online a few years ago.

Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:

There are two tracks on the Intriguer bonus disc that began life in those post-Intriguer sessions. They're the only two tracks in the entire collection I haven't heard yet because they were still being worked on in LA with Nick Launay when we finalised the tracklist. "Two Minutes of Silence" and "Nonsense Of Course".

Wow, these might be the most exciting releases of all ! I take it that's why Neil and Nick were really in LA ?

stuartjb posted:
Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:

Wow, these might be the most exciting releases of all ! I take it that's why Neil and Nick were really in LA ?

I concur! Thanks for the info Jaffaman - that is great news. I was hoping that there would be something in there that was recorded post Intriguer, and finished off recently. 

Jaffaman posted:
stuartjb posted:

.Wow, these might be the most exciting releases of all ! I take it that's why Neil and Nick were really in LA ?

No, Neil often spends time in LA and I think it said in the interview that Nick flew over just that day?

Sorry, it's just you said they were working on that stuff..  just seemed like quite a co-incidence ! Thanks buddy.

stuartjb posted:

Also Jaffaman, Is the entire Crowded House catalogue now essentially owned by the same Company - did Universal not swallow EMI up ?

Universal bought EMI but Parlophone was bought by Warner Music. And licensing varies from country to country. That's partly why the "Time On Earth" vinyl is coming out a bit late. There are more companies in the mix than Universal.

Jaffaman posted:
stuartjb posted:

Also Jaffaman, Is the entire Crowded House catalogue now essentially owned by the same Company - did Universal not swallow EMI up ?

Universal bought EMI but Parlophone was bought by Warner Music. And licensing varies from country to country. That's partly why the "Time On Earth" vinyl is coming out a bit late. There are more companies in the mix than Universal.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated

stuartjb posted:
Jaffaman posted:
stuartjb posted:

.Wow, these might be the most exciting releases of all ! I take it that's why Neil and Nick were really in LA ?

No, Neil often spends time in LA and I think it said in the interview that Nick flew over just that day?

Sorry, it's just you said they were working on that stuff..  just seemed like quite a co-incidence ! Thanks buddy.

I totally understand the assumption! The songs were finished a month or so ago and are the only two selections on the discs that I didn't work on in some way.

Spencer Goode posted:

Thank you Jaffaman for an incredible amount of work and what looks like a fantastic product! Just out of curiosity, was there ever a CH version of Astro and did it make the cut?

Thanks, Spencer. No CH version of "Astro" to my knowledge.

mattl posted:

Hello all---

First, thanks Jaffaman for your years of work on the reissue project.  I admit it...I lost hope years ago.  But you were persistent, and that all-too-rare trait has resulted in a huge blessing for the fans.  We all know that no one forced you all to release this "new" music, and the fact that you've all spent so much time, energy, and money making it happen shows how much you and the band care about the fans.

Thoughts...where to begin...?

[1] So...I know this is a discussion about the bonus tracks, but Jaffaman, how are the remasters?  TEMPLE always sounded a little tinny to my ears, so I'm wondering if the remaster gave it a little more body without being too loud and noisy.

[2] I find it curious that the Byrdhouse tracks were included but not "She's Not There."  I would have expected there to be publishing/rights issues with including the old Byrds songs.

[3] I love that fact that one of my all-time favorite CH tracks, "Left Hand," appears not once, not twice, but [counting the AFTERGLOW version] three times on these reissues.  If they could have combined the energy and guitar riffs of the live versions with the better mix of the studio version, this could have been one of their best recordings.  I will always feel that "Left Hand" and "Recurring Dream" were shoulda-been hits that just missed their chance.

And, yeah, it hurts to know that songs like "Good Luck Morning" aren't being released, because, in the case of that one, Peter Green himself once wrote that it's one of his favorites.

But...wow.  So much music coming our way very soon.  It must be incredibly gratifying to finally, after all these years, see it being released.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jaffaman,

Regards,

mattl

Hi mattl. It's been a while! Thanks for your interest over the years.

1. Haven't heard the CD masters.
2. Byrdhouse didn't seem to be a problem.
3. Left Hand - three totally different versions.
4. I like the chorus of Most Unwanted. There's no way we could include the TV version (rights, sound quality, musical quality, etc) but I suggested the live version to Neil and he turned it down. When it's your music, your songs, your reputation, your story, you have the right to decide how you're represented.
5. Good Luck Morning ... I was sad to lose it but got over it pretty quickly. It's very unfinished compared to "My Legs Are Gone" from the same sessions.

blueno1se posted:

They've gone with the original Australian edition of the vinyl, so it's "Can't Carry On" instead of "I Walk Away". I hope they'll include the latter in the download.

Both songs are on the CD.

Sorry to prolong the inquisition Jaffaman, but I can't resist the insights and appreciate your patience providing them:

Another track caught my eye - "Blue Smoke" on the Together Alone bonus disc.
I'm assuming this is the same WW2 ANZAC song that Neil recorded and released on iTunes last year with Jim Carter and Liam? It had just emerged around the time of Neil's last Largo appearances and we got to hear it performed in the theatre and the bar. Assuming it's the same song, and not a new one sharing the title - have you any insight into it's presence around the Together Alone era? It's fascinating that a song like this, (and a cover) may have been a consideration for the album. Did this track originate from the Together Alone recording sessions at Kare Kare in the early 90's?

Jaffaman posted:
blueno1se posted:

They've gone with the original Australian edition of the vinyl, so it's "Can't Carry On" instead of "I Walk Away". I hope they'll include the latter in the download.

Both songs are on the CD.

That's an interesting decision, given that Australia was the only country which had CCO and no IWA. I would have thought the original US Capitol would be the one considered canon, apparently not! I guess the running order sounds a bit weird to those not used to it?

As I prefer IWA to CCO, I guess it's just another reason to treasure my original US Wally pressing

Paul H posted:

Ooh, that makes the debut tempting just from the perspective of getting Can't Carry On on vinyl. Also, side one has a different running order the UK version.

I already have an original Aus copy too, so I'm set Is the UK side 1 tracklist the same as the US (starts with WWYL)?

Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:

Nick Launay..... is he, by any chance, working on the Oils boxset (it's the same story as the CH boxset, mentioned but unreleased for a long time...)??

I understand why Neil didn't want to release the most unwanted from the manchester show, it was quite messy I think, with an abrupt ending... Neil is even apologising to the crowd. The MTV version looks more polished and has a proper ending, but I was quite sure about the rights, quite hard to release it.

Patjoller posted:
Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:

Nick Launay..... is he, by any chance, working on the Oils boxset (it's the same story as the CH boxset, mentioned but unreleased for a long time...)??

I understand why Neil didn't want to release the most unwanted from the manchester show, it was quite messy I think, with an abrupt ending... Neil is even apologising to the crowd. The MTV version looks more polished and has a proper ending, but I was quite sure about the rights, quite hard to release it.

That's the question I want to know. I've been waiting on the Oils boxset almost as long as the CH one. I believe they shelved it in preparation for the Oils reunion in 2017.

GeoffR posted:
Paul H posted:

Ooh, that makes the debut tempting just from the perspective of getting Can't Carry On on vinyl. Also, side one has a different running order the UK version.

I already have an original Aus copy too, so I'm set Is the UK side 1 tracklist the same as the US (starts with WWYL)?

Yep. It's an odd listen after years of having the CD.

Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:

Glad we get to hear something from those sessions, but it also suggests they've definitely abandoned the notion of a new album any time soon. I guess we already knew that but I was holding out some hope based on those sessions. Maybe the encore shows will make them reconsider? One can hope.

Add Reply

©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.