2016 Album Reissues: What's Missing?

koala_sprint posted:

I can't see any mention of this, but the song "Time on Earth" seems to be missing. I have a good recording of this track and it sounds great. Seems a shame to have left it off, especially considering the title was used as the album title, and we're getting the Intriguer song on the Intriguer bonus disc.

Surely there must be time to add that on as a hidden track to the bonus disc of Time on Earth???? :-)

I love it too but the recording from the "One All" era was too far removed from the Crowded House years. "Purple Light" is a 2006 reworking of the song and is on the reissue.

Interesting to read comments about these reissues on other forums. Lots of misquoting. "The person who assembled the rarities confirmed the first disc isn’t remastered". I never said any such thing! I haven't heard the new masters and don't know enough about them to comment.

Jaffaman posted:
stuartjb posted:

In terms of ommisions , is " farewell to the world " not a fairly big omission from a complete vinyl collection?

Tricky territory here. The album was produced by Parlophone in the UK, not Capitol. Parlophone is now owned by Warner Music, not Universal, so it's not part of this campaign. Also, a vinyl version would have meant at least three discs, I think.

I'm intrigued (excuse the pun) by the contractual shenigans involved in CH. My understanding is that they were signed to Capitol originally, and their records were issued by Capitol but sometime (IIRC, around the mid 1990's) anything involving Neil started to be issued by Parlophone. I recall reading (with horror) some label copy noting that Parlophone was "a Capitol Records company" or somesuch but presumed this was just internal company reorganisation guff because both labels were part of the EMI stable. That would imply that the whole catalogue (up to and including Farewell) was owned by EMI (whether through Capitol or Parlophone) and so would be fair game for this campaign.

However, your comment above suggests that the sound recording of Farewell (or at least, the released album) was owned by Parlophone and is now, therefore, owned by Warners. Is this right??

But Time on Earth was also issued on Parlophone... So, presumably, Universal have had to license that album from Warners (or have bought it). 

Taking this one step further, I presume this means that Neil's solo and the Finn Bros catalogues are now on Warner's too. 

Hmm. I can see why this would get tricky.

I'd also like to state my absolute thanks and appreciation to Jaffaman for the background on all the rarity songs inclusions/exclusions - it's been an absolutely fascinating thread all the way around.

Finding out the tidbit that 'Loose Tongue' was the 'dark heavy song' omitted in the '96 Recurring Dream sessions has made my day - again, fascinating.

Jaffaman posted:
brownie posted:

Pieces of Change is the one I was most hoping would show up here, but I can't say I'm "upset".  Slightly disappointed, but I can still listen to the recording I have!  I am very much looking forward to hearing all the new goodies.

An unfinished studio version of "Chainsaw" almost made it to the tracklist but Neil didn't think it was up to scratch, so it was scratched.

Reading back through this thread as I get more and more anxious for the release date; Jaffa, are you saying that "Chainsaw" is the same as (or a re-working of) Pieces of Change"? If so, how different?

Tail of a Finnatic posted:

I'd also like to state my absolute thanks and appreciation to Jaffaman for the background on all the rarity songs inclusions/exclusions - it's been an absolutely fascinating thread all the way around.

Finding out the tidbit that 'Loose Tongue' was the 'dark heavy song' omitted in the '96 Recurring Dream sessions has made my day - again, fascinating.

Thank you. Finding out about "Loose Tongue" was a delight for me too! It's satisfying putting the jigsaw pieces together. (And it's still a great book, Something So Strong, from a great writer.)

Steve Shealy posted:
Jaffaman posted:
brownie posted:

Pieces of Change is the one I was most hoping would show up here, but I can't say I'm "upset".  Slightly disappointed, but I can still listen to the recording I have!  I am very much looking forward to hearing all the new goodies.

An unfinished studio version of "Chainsaw" almost made it to the tracklist but Neil didn't think it was up to scratch, so it was scratched.

Reading back through this thread as I get more and more anxious for the release date; Jaffa, are you saying that "Chainsaw" is the same as (or a re-working of) Pieces of Change"? If so, how different?

Pretty much the same. A bit faster and heavier in the studio recording. Wish I hadn't re-listened to it now. Sad that it was removed at the last minute.

Jaffaman posted:
Steve Shealy posted:
Jaffaman posted:
brownie posted:

Pretty much the same. A bit faster and heavier in the studio recording. Wish I hadn't re-listened to it now. Sad that it was removed at the last minute.

Kitchen Sink, perhaps?  

Steve Shealy posted:
Jaffaman posted:
Steve Shealy posted:
Jaffaman posted:
brownie posted:

Kitchen Sink, perhaps?  

Yes, please.

It's ironic you say that. I joined the fan club simply because, back in 1999, the UK edition of Afterglow came with a deluxe edition that featured an interview disc. In it, Neil suggested that there were a number of outtakes that missed the cut that might be issued some time down the line as a fan club-only Afterglow 2. I wouldn't necessarily want a fan club release because that would upset the many who aren't members, but the point is that there are several "off-grid" ways of getting this material out.

I appreciate that, ultimately, Neil has decided that he doesn't want the nixed material releasing but I'd suspect that a fan club-only (or otherwise limited release) would be different to a formal official release that would add material to the canon.

And, of course, I'm also aware that any release would require record company approval but, at this point, it seems bizarre that Universal would happily pay to store a bunch of tapes that are never going to be used. I'd have thought that even a limited release would help them recoup some of their storage costs.

Jaffaman posted:
lavar78 posted:

Another vote for "Frank's Dark Past," that's a pretty big omission for me.

"Cars Collide" and "789" were omitted from the Intriguer bonus tracks. The latter's resemblance to the Sesame Street theme probably explains its absence. While the former had ideas that later appeared in "Saturday Sun," it's a pretty well-defined song in its own right.

Fingers crossed that the live version of "Twice If You're Lucky" is the second (superior IMO) version.

Jeremy confirmed on another thread that there isn't a studio version of "Tail of a Comet."

Over the moon excited about a studio versions of "Convent Girls," "Better Things" and "Newcastle Jam"!

"Frank's Dark Past" - Yeah, I probably could have added the live version. Thought the subject matter was a bit obscure for an international audience all these years later. Ah well.

"Cars Collide" - I could only find a very murky sounding single-mic-in-the-room early band demo of this. A good version would have been cool. Listening to it now... very Smiths-like in places.

"789" is there as "The Intriguer".

The live version of "Twice If You're Lucky" is from Leigh Sawmill, which you've heard, but remixed by Eddie. I'd hoped to include one of the very different, darker versions but Neil didn't like 'em.

Glad you're excited about those three studio tracks you mentioned. So am I!

Where would a live version of 'Frank's Dark Past' go into a homemade expanded set, would it be on the TA bonus disc (from '92?). What is the 'obscure' story behind this track

'She's not there' is now track 9b on my TOLM

thejera posted:

The version of Tail of a Comet that was included sucks quite frankly, I'm sorry but it is awful compared to the version on 'Ghost Cars'.

That's good to hear, in a way, as I felt let down when I heard Tail after reading about it on here. Also, what is the story behind Frank's Dark Past? I've seen a few people ask but no one has answered... very mysterious

The question of Frank's story has been asked many times. I've asked at least twice myself. It's like there is some sort of conspiracy to keep it a secret.....unless no one actually knows!  Cone on, there must be some Aussie on here that can shed a little light!

And Van, I did read on here somewhere that it is from '92, so that looks to be the right place for it.

Steve Shealy posted:

The question of Frank's story has been asked many times. I've asked at least twice myself. It's like there is some sort of conspiracy to keep it a secret.....unless no one actually knows!  Cone on, there must be some Aussie on here that can shed a little light!

And Van, I did read on here somewhere that it is from '92, so that looks to be the right place for it.

Checking dates, 1992 probably places FDP as being a wood face tour track so it maybe should belong there, it does have the more light acoustic woodface feel to it. Recording for TA didn't start till late 1992.

i think Nick's dad is named Frank, don't know if this is helpful or not

Jaffaman posted:

"Time On Earth" isn't owned by Universal, but by Kobalt. So it's distributed by different companies in different territories.

I thought that was the case but was just checking in case i ended up with a poor bootleg in a regular cd case. The hard work put into track selection and packaging is what makes these reissues so special.

Recieved Time On Earth & Intriguer Deluxe today, my collection is complete. One thing and it's not a complaint but ToE & Intriguer Booklets don't have as much to read as The other 5. Thank You Jeremy for your dedication to the cause. Next up live albums with the album tracklists made up from the best performances of each era.

Jaffaman posted:

You're right about the last two albums having fewer notes. Neil didn't have as much to say about those tracks and we were both pretty tired of talking by then!

Fair enough..... I can't praise you enough Jeremy for an awesome job. They've re invigorated my own muse and got me writing songs again.

Steve Shealy posted:

Frank's Dark Past was performed in Birmingham on the Woodface tour in March 1992 and the song introduction by Neil Nick, and Paul that night explains that the song concerns a salacious episode in Australian actor Frank Thring's life.

Just visited Jane and found that show. It's a different version from the one I'm used to, much rougher and unfinished sounding. At the end, Neil says "that may be the last time you'll ever hear that song", but it obviously was not.

Someone on an old thread had speculated that it might be about Thring, but it seemed like such a guess. Glad to hear confirmation directly from the horse's mouth.

Frank saying to the maid who finds him, "Untie me darling, I've had the most wonderful weekend" - hilarious!

I don't know "Walk Tall" but "Pieces of Change" is otherwise known as "Chainsaw" and was recorded in the studio for Together Alone. Only a guide vocal and no overdubs but a rockin' track. It was slated for the bonus disc until the last moment as Neil didn't think it was up to scratch.

Now that doesn't sound like something Neil would do 

Is there any chance it will end up on the Kitchen Sink? (Along with Cemetery in the Rain - I'm dying to hear it as the Murchison sessions have something very special about them.)

Sorry to pester you about it 

Add Reply

Likes (2)
patgomezBostonFinnFan
    All times London, UK.

©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.