2016 Album Reissues: What's Missing?

disembodied carie posted:
as much as neil has talked about it, over the years, i'm a little surprised that 'throw your arms around me' wasn't thrown in somewhere?  i know, plenty of exposure, but still never official?!  maybe saving it for next c h album 

The Roxy '87 version was originally slated for the box set in 2006 but was later added to the double CD edition of The Very Very Best Of Crowded House . It was also on various CD singles and The Other Enz. So it's out there and we didn't think it needed repeating. There's a good version on Farewell To The World too. Thinking of it now, perhaps we ought to have found another really good live version and put it on but by then we were concentrating on finding other things.

The studio attempts couldn't compare with the spirit of the live versions and Neil didn't want to include them. Tim put the 1990 Finn Brothers version online a few years ago.

Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:
My only question would be if there was any material post Intriguer available for consideration? I know mention was made at the time of the band being briefly in the studio with some new songs after the Intriguer tour but nothing ever came from it. I always wondered how much was actually achieved during those sessions...

There are two tracks on the Intriguer bonus disc that began life in those post-Intriguer sessions. They're the only two tracks in the entire collection I haven't heard yet because they were still being worked on in LA with Nick Launay when we finalised the tracklist. "Two Minutes of Silence" and "Nonsense Of Course".

Wow, these might be the most exciting releases of all ! I take it that's why Neil and Nick were really in LA ?

stuartjb posted:
Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:
My only question would be if there was any material post Intriguer available for consideration? I know mention was made at the time of the band being briefly in the studio with some new songs after the Intriguer tour but nothing ever came from it. I always wondered how much was actually achieved during those sessions...

There are two tracks on the Intriguer bonus disc that began life in those post-Intriguer sessions. They're the only two tracks in the entire collection I haven't heard yet because they were still being worked on in LA with Nick Launay when we finalised the tracklist. "Two Minutes of Silence" and "Nonsense Of Course".

Wow, these might be the most exciting releases of all ! I take it that's why Neil and Nick were really in LA ?

I concur! Thanks for the info Jaffaman - that is great news. I was hoping that there would be something in there that was recorded post Intriguer, and finished off recently. 

Jaffaman posted:
stuartjb posted:

.Wow, these might be the most exciting releases of all ! I take it that's why Neil and Nick were really in LA ?

No, Neil often spends time in LA and I think it said in the interview that Nick flew over just that day?

Sorry, it's just you said they were working on that stuff..  just seemed like quite a co-incidence ! Thanks buddy.

stuartjb posted:

Also Jaffaman, Is the entire Crowded House catalogue now essentially owned by the same Company - did Universal not swallow EMI up ?

Universal bought EMI but Parlophone was bought by Warner Music. And licensing varies from country to country. That's partly why the "Time On Earth" vinyl is coming out a bit late. There are more companies in the mix than Universal.

Jaffaman posted:
stuartjb posted:

Also Jaffaman, Is the entire Crowded House catalogue now essentially owned by the same Company - did Universal not swallow EMI up ?

Universal bought EMI but Parlophone was bought by Warner Music. And licensing varies from country to country. That's partly why the "Time On Earth" vinyl is coming out a bit late. There are more companies in the mix than Universal.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated

stuartjb posted:
Jaffaman posted:
stuartjb posted:

.Wow, these might be the most exciting releases of all ! I take it that's why Neil and Nick were really in LA ?

No, Neil often spends time in LA and I think it said in the interview that Nick flew over just that day?

Sorry, it's just you said they were working on that stuff..  just seemed like quite a co-incidence ! Thanks buddy.

I totally understand the assumption! The songs were finished a month or so ago and are the only two selections on the discs that I didn't work on in some way.

Spencer Goode posted:

Thank you Jaffaman for an incredible amount of work and what looks like a fantastic product! Just out of curiosity, was there ever a CH version of Astro and did it make the cut?

Thanks, Spencer. No CH version of "Astro" to my knowledge.

mattl posted:

Hello all---

First, thanks Jaffaman for your years of work on the reissue project.  I admit it...I lost hope years ago.  But you were persistent, and that all-too-rare trait has resulted in a huge blessing for the fans.  We all know that no one forced you all to release this "new" music, and the fact that you've all spent so much time, energy, and money making it happen shows how much you and the band care about the fans.

Thoughts...where to begin...?

[1] So...I know this is a discussion about the bonus tracks, but Jaffaman, how are the remasters?  TEMPLE always sounded a little tinny to my ears, so I'm wondering if the remaster gave it a little more body without being too loud and noisy.

[2] I find it curious that the Byrdhouse tracks were included but not "She's Not There."  I would have expected there to be publishing/rights issues with including the old Byrds songs.

[3] I love that fact that one of my all-time favorite CH tracks, "Left Hand," appears not once, not twice, but [counting the AFTERGLOW version] three times on these reissues.  If they could have combined the energy and guitar riffs of the live versions with the better mix of the studio version, this could have been one of their best recordings.  I will always feel that "Left Hand" and "Recurring Dream" were shoulda-been hits that just missed their chance.

[4] I find it interesting that a few tracks weren't included because Neil didn't like them.  I understand him perhaps not wanting a sub-par recording or a clearly unfinished tune on one of the bonus discs.  But it's surprising that he doesn’t want a song like "Most Unwanted" included.  Is it the best song they ever created?  Certainly not.  But it's part of their story and is an unreleased tune.  And, for what it's worth, it's got a great chorus that simply soars.  At least we have the fan club live version.

And, yeah, it hurts to know that songs like "Good Luck Morning" aren't being released, because, in the case of that one, Peter Green himself once wrote that it's one of his favorites.

But...wow.  So much music coming our way very soon.  It must be incredibly gratifying to finally, after all these years, see it being released.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jaffaman,

Regards,

mattl

Hi mattl. It's been a while! Thanks for your interest over the years.

1. Haven't heard the CD masters.
2. Byrdhouse didn't seem to be a problem.
3. Left Hand - three totally different versions.
4. I like the chorus of Most Unwanted. There's no way we could include the TV version (rights, sound quality, musical quality, etc) but I suggested the live version to Neil and he turned it down. When it's your music, your songs, your reputation, your story, you have the right to decide how you're represented.
5. Good Luck Morning ... I was sad to lose it but got over it pretty quickly. It's very unfinished compared to "My Legs Are Gone" from the same sessions.

blueno1se posted:

Erm, I Walk Away?  Appears on the tracklisting for the Aussie CD release but not in the vinyl or anywhere on the USA/UK one?  Hmmm.

They've gone with the original Australian edition of the vinyl, so it's "Can't Carry On" instead of "I Walk Away". I hope they'll include the latter in the download.

Both songs are on the CD.

Sorry to prolong the inquisition Jaffaman, but I can't resist the insights and appreciate your patience providing them:

Another track caught my eye - "Blue Smoke" on the Together Alone bonus disc.
I'm assuming this is the same WW2 ANZAC song that Neil recorded and released on iTunes last year with Jim Carter and Liam? It had just emerged around the time of Neil's last Largo appearances and we got to hear it performed in the theatre and the bar. Assuming it's the same song, and not a new one sharing the title - have you any insight into it's presence around the Together Alone era? It's fascinating that a song like this, (and a cover) may have been a consideration for the album. Did this track originate from the Together Alone recording sessions at Kare Kare in the early 90's?

Jaffaman posted:
blueno1se posted:

Erm, I Walk Away?  Appears on the tracklisting for the Aussie CD release but not in the vinyl or anywhere on the USA/UK one?  Hmmm.

They've gone with the original Australian edition of the vinyl, so it's "Can't Carry On" instead of "I Walk Away". I hope they'll include the latter in the download.

Both songs are on the CD.

That's an interesting decision, given that Australia was the only country which had CCO and no IWA. I would have thought the original US Capitol would be the one considered canon, apparently not! I guess the running order sounds a bit weird to those not used to it?

As I prefer IWA to CCO, I guess it's just another reason to treasure my original US Wally pressing

Paul H posted:

Ooh, that makes the debut tempting just from the perspective of getting Can't Carry On on vinyl. Also, side one has a different running order the UK version.

I already have an original Aus copy too, so I'm set Is the UK side 1 tracklist the same as the US (starts with WWYL)?

Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:

Nick Launay..... is he, by any chance, working on the Oils boxset (it's the same story as the CH boxset, mentioned but unreleased for a long time...)??

I understand why Neil didn't want to release the most unwanted from the manchester show, it was quite messy I think, with an abrupt ending... Neil is even apologising to the crowd. The MTV version looks more polished and has a proper ending, but I was quite sure about the rights, quite hard to release it.

Patjoller posted:
Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:

Nick Launay..... is he, by any chance, working on the Oils boxset (it's the same story as the CH boxset, mentioned but unreleased for a long time...)??

I understand why Neil didn't want to release the most unwanted from the manchester show, it was quite messy I think, with an abrupt ending... Neil is even apologising to the crowd. The MTV version looks more polished and has a proper ending, but I was quite sure about the rights, quite hard to release it.

That's the question I want to know. I've been waiting on the Oils boxset almost as long as the CH one. I believe they shelved it in preparation for the Oils reunion in 2017.

GeoffR posted:
Paul H posted:

Ooh, that makes the debut tempting just from the perspective of getting Can't Carry On on vinyl. Also, side one has a different running order the UK version.

I already have an original Aus copy too, so I'm set Is the UK side 1 tracklist the same as the US (starts with WWYL)?

Yep. It's an odd listen after years of having the CD.

Jaffaman posted:
Whysus posted:

Glad we get to hear something from those sessions, but it also suggests they've definitely abandoned the notion of a new album any time soon. I guess we already knew that but I was holding out some hope based on those sessions. Maybe the encore shows will make them reconsider? One can hope.

The reissue campaign is orchestrated by Universal Australia, and Mean To Me is a much stronger opener. 

The 2002 DVD-A was produced by Capitol in the US and used the Australian sequence, which by then had become the default CD track order, with I Walk Away added. 

It's the same version as last year's B-Side with 2015 vocals. The vocal on the original 1995 rough mix is good but it needed a better mix and we couldn't find it among the takes on the multis, though the instrumentation was there. So Neil re-recorded it.

Jaffaman posted
Then Time On Earth and Intriguer were added. I had the option of splitting up Afterglow and adding the tracks to their relevant albums but both Neil and I think it works really well as an album in its own right. Plus, I needed somewhere to put the 1995-6 era tracks, including those recorded for Recurring Dream.

This is going to be the biggest challenge for me...how to organise all the new bonus tracks in my iTunes collection. Neil Finn has got to be one of the most difficult artists in this regard. I've lost count of the number of revisions I've made. 

I agree that "Afterglow" should be left intact. I've tried splitting it up before, but always come back to it as a bone fide studio album in its own right. 

I think what I will do is make a separate collection of the first five bonus discs...keeping the integrity of Jeremy's sequencing intact. I'll then remove from the first four studio albums any bonus tracks I had added which have now been duplicated in Jeremy's set.

That will leave...

1. "Crowded House" plus bonus tracks
  2. "Temple" plus bonus tracks
  3. Woodface (Finn Brothers) Demos
  4. "Woodface" plus bonus tracks
  5. Town & Country Club
  6. "Together Alone" plus bonus tracks
  7. "Special Edition" 
  8. Recurring Dream (live tracks from singles)
  9. "Farewell To The World"
  10. "Afterglow" plus bonus tracks
  11. The first five bonus discs

"Time On Earth" and "Intriguer" go under "Neil Finn" as artist in my collection alone with all his other solo collaborations.

Looking forward to hearing all the new material, and thank you to Jeremy for all your efforts. 

Jaffaman posted:
Paul H posted:

I also note that one of the tracks included on the fan club auction CDR of Intriguer outtakes remains missing: Blue Hotel. I was never sure if that was a solo demo or band recording

"Blue Hotel" was a solo recording and wasn't written for Crowded House, so wasn't considered, initially. I suggested it to Neil at the last minute but it was too late by then. Never mind. I must add it to the Kitchen Sink III on neilfinn.com one day!

I've got "Blue Hotel". It was available as a download from CrowdedHouse.com in November 2010, with a note saying that it was originally intended for a 2006 solo album.

I just think it's bloody odd that "She's Not There" isn't included. I think every other studio track ever released by Crowded House is in this set, but no "She's Not There"? Especially given the lack of rarities from the Temple period, "She's Not There" sounds like it could have been on that album. Plus it's a great version of the song!

harrytrousers posted:

I'm straight up devastated that "ugly Sheila" didn't make it.

More seriously the Ghost Cars book mentions a fair few titles of song left off "Temple". Like "tea and pizza" and "I saw her face". Were they lost or were they not very good? 

"Tea and Pizza" - not aware of that one. No recordings found, so might have been a jokey throwaway one off. "When I Saw Her Face" - demo'ed by Neil but not very good. I didn't bother to run that one past him.

stuartjb posted:

In terms of ommisions , is " farewell to the world " not a fairly big omission from a complete vinyl collection?

Tricky territory here. The album was produced by Parlophone in the UK, not Capitol. Parlophone is now owned by Warner Music, not Universal, so it's not part of this campaign. Also, a vinyl version would have meant at least three discs, I think.

I can't see any mention of this, but the song "Time on Earth" seems to be missing. I have a good recording of this track and it sounds great. Seems a shame to have left it off, especially considering the title was used as the album title, and we're getting the Intriguer song on the Intriguer bonus disc.

Surely there must be time to add that on as a hidden track to the bonus disc of Time on Earth???? :-)

Jaffaman posted:
stuartjb posted:

In terms of ommisions , is " farewell to the world " not a fairly big omission from a complete vinyl collection?

Tricky territory here. The album was produced by Parlophone in the UK, not Capitol. Parlophone is now owned by Warner Music, not Universal, so it's not part of this campaign. Also, a vinyl version would have meant at least three discs, I think.

Thanks for the insight re legalities Jaffaman.  I was listening to this yesterday, and am I not right in saying that the 2nd disc is a fair bit shorter than the first ? This leads me to think  that a double vinyl would be enough ?

Having said that, the parlophone situation probably makes it a non starter anyway...

Add Reply

Likes (2)
patgomezBostonFinnFan
    All times London, UK.

©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.