Skip to main content

Ahhh, the ubiquitous NZ Herald. It was their photographer, as I recall, who asked me at the 1993 Auckland reunion show (ME, mind you, who only had a photographer's pass courtesy of a freelancer's gig for the sadly-defunct Australian music paper Juke, and who had paid her own way across the Tasman as a fan firstly and a journo secondly) where he should stand to get the best shots of "the guy out of Crowded House". "Oh, you mean Neil, or the one who just left?" I asked mock-innocently, to confuse the guy further, which worked a treat. Ahh there could have been some interesting shots in the national paper the next day, let me tell you!! But in the end my kind heart got the better of me and I told him where Neil would be standing, what he looked like and how to get the best shots of him. And the NZ Herald didn't run any embarrassing little blunders like a caption "Neil Finn, of Crowded House fame..." under, say, a picture of Eddie (snicker). It was a pretty close-run thing, though, given the photographer had never heard of 'em!!! (Shame...)

(And there folks is the sad story of why I never made it as a journo... far too nice, for a start!)
Hmmm - that was a hurting moment! NYE I didn't have internet yet - that came 2 days later - so I couldn't know of the gig.

BUT I was watching this NYE worldwide special show on TV, accidentally my CH video at the right place and prepared to record in my VRC when suddenly they switched to NZ, Auckland to be exact, and I saw Neil and Eddie Rayner on a screen in their background. I started yelling at my TV and boyfriend (not the same thing here Wink ), not knowing of the gig before (where from?) and pressed TAPE shortly after they announced "australias cult band No.1 - Crowded Huse:..." AAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Taped it! Taped I see red and Message to my girl - GREAT! Have to confess - I didn't know Message since that day - I only knew I see red from my Best-of Split Enz compilation - got it from the Netherlands or a creepy little german label, don't know anymore... - now it belongs Jackie I think, does it, Jackie? Did I give it to you? Afterwards - 2 days later I joined all the mailinglists - finally - and got to kno more about the show - got to know all you guys and since then I'm here and happy to be! I bet the show was brilliant! You can see Lozza jumping on my tape Big Grin

Very cool!
Can't copy videos - sorry! But if you're around my area one day feel free to pop in to watch it with me Smiler

Silke

Add Reply

©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.
Link copied to your clipboard.