Skip to main content

Australian pay TV is advertising the 1988 Sydney State Theatre show (Temple of Low Men era) as running on April 25 on channel VH1 (?) at 10am ... (my dates / times may be slightly out, happy to be corrected - i dont have pay tv and saw it at the office and didn't have a pen to write it down) ...

some of the footage is known, including the Sister Madly film clip but as far as i know this hasn't been shown on tv before .

great piece of promotional timing with the new album coming ...

i am HUGELY looking forward to the version of Love This Life from this gig as it is one of my all time favourite audio bootlegs ...

get the video recorders ready - this should be a beauty.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I caught it on VHS tape here in the old UK..back in 1992 I think!

The Crowdies are so clean cut...amazing version of In The Lowlands.

liz - you were there? Must have been really special.

It's fab for a guitar geek like me to see as Neil uses his old Strat and Tele in the show. I think he may have given the Tele to Liam..could be wrong (usually am)

Enjoy everyone!
Hello all---

If I'm not mistaken, this show was partially released as both a CD bootleg [Umm, wasn't it BETTER BE LIVE SOON?] and a fan club CD [STATE OF MIND], each with a slightly different track list.

This is my all-time favorite CH live recording. Eddie Rayner is on keys, and the band was really cooking.

Having only heard it, please tell me someone is recording this and putting the video footage online...

EDIT: Oops. I just reread the original post and caught the part about it being on pay TV.

mattl
All I know about this show is what I've read in Something So Strong and what I've heard on the fan club CD. It seems like this concert was a real watershed moment for the band. It was described as being a crazy concert with out of control screaming fans, a real Beatlesque live experience for the Crowdies.

It also captured such an under-represented era of the band's live history. They toured so little for Temple of Low Men and then stopped playing so many of the Temple songs live by the time Woodface came around. I would love to see a full concert DVD released! I guess I'll just keep dreaming...
quote:
Originally posted by Finfan:
liz - you were there? Must have been really special.

Sure was, Finfan Smiler It was very special, being my first CH gig. Painaporo put it best while I was sleeping on the other (either?) side of the world:
quote:
It was described as being a crazy concert with out of control screaming fans, a real Beatlesque live experience for the Crowdies.

It was hysterical. I must admit, though, being rather...ahem...young...at the time, I was part of that hysteria. Lots of screaming, noise & wild applause!

I recall 2 things clearly... Neil was apologetic at times about the presence of the TV camera that sometimes obscured the audience's view (it was on a crane, rather than a steady-cam).

The other thing I recall was the venue security, which was quite strict. Neil had his (now usual) go at them, telling the audience "you can dance if you want to", after witnessing security trying to enforce fans down the front to take their seats.

Thoroughly enjoyable show. I think the band were rather taken aback at their reception and I'm not that sure Neil knew what to make of all the screaming & hysteria, to be honest.

I know they played a week's worth of gigs at the State Theatre; having only attended one night I don't know whether the cameras were there every night.

Really looking forward to catching this again Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by silent stream:
Australian pay TV is advertising the 1988 Sydney State Theatre show (Temple of Low Men era) as running on April 25 on channel VH1 (?) at 10am ... (my dates / times may be slightly out, happy to be corrected - i dont have pay tv and saw it at the office and didn't have a pen to write it down) ...

No need to stand corrected silent stream because your info there is all correct. Smiler 10am EST/9:30am CST/8am WST, Channel VH1, on ANZAC day (April 25th). They've been advertising this wildly on most Foxtel channels and also there is a teeny tiny write up about this on Page 67 of this month's Foxtel Mag. I know for a fact that all Foxtel advertising of show times and the Mag is always all listed in EST. I assume that Austar would possibly be the same.

From what I caught on tape once when the SST show was shown on Max just after Paul Hester's passing (Max was doing tributes left, right & center and the SST show was one thing broadcast as part of those tributes) this is well worth watching if you get the chance. Big Grin

Far out! There's been a fair amount of Crowded House related stuff on Foxtel lately. The Sydney State Theatre show comes on top of:

*Max Masters - Crowded House on Max last Thursday night/early Friday morning (as well as the week before. Same time too - late Thurs night/early Fri morning)
    *Superstar Top 20 - Crowded House on Max yesterday morning at 8am Adelaide time
    *Soundtrack to my Life - Crowded House on Max two weeks ago
    *Rockwiz - Special Guest Paul Hester on Max last week
    *Great Australian Albums - Crowded House Woodface on Max tonight @ 11pm EST!

All this definitely has to have something to do with the upcoming release of Intriguer. Cool
this must have been broadcast here at some point because i thought this sounded familiar so went trolling through my inherited CH vhs tapes and sure enough..found it Big Grin

don't think it was the entire concert (obviously) but it's got to be at least an hour long.

don't think i've watched it for several years, should dust it off and give it a spin
ATTENTION: All Aussie Paytv Subscribers: FYI - If you miss the morning screening of the SST concert on this coming Sunday, according to Foxtel's EPG this will be repeated again twice on Sunday/Monday. Once in the evening @ 7pm EST, then again for the night owls @ 12am EST Monday morning.

Hopefully Foxtel's EPG is correct for a change. The last 'Crowded House-related' programme to screen was advertised for April 12th and never actually screened until April 14th. Roll Eyes
I recorded it on Foxtel at my gf's place. No idea if it can be transferred from there though. It was a good show. Paul dropped his drumstick in the middle of Now We're Getting Somewhere which was funny. And at the end he was at the front ranting off the old chorus to Hole in the River whilst taking his shirt off with Neil on drums!
That is a very sticky question there Texas Rose because PayTv Channel VH1 ceases to exist as of 5pm on Saturday May 1st. It is becoming MTV Classic.

I tried to capture the SST show on Sunday... only to find out the hard way that vid no longer records in SP standard. Only LP and not all vid players accept LP standard playback. I gave up in the end. Frowner
@In2FINN2 posted:

The broadcast referred to is over here  .. added track here ... and a longer video version of that gig which was available via the fan club

Wow, thanks so much for posting this. Brings back many fine memories. Triple M also broadcast this, right? I've got a worn out cassette tape somewhere with the recording on it.

My first ever rock concert was in this era, at Festival Hall in Melbourne.

Some of the tracks also appear on TOLM Deluxe version. This is Massive is definitely from this show.

Last edited by Byrds Talk to Me
@CJFerg81 posted:

Nice one.

While I remember: Peter Green (@gryphon) uploaded a short clip to YouTube a couple of years ago of CH jamming to "Room to Move" that looks to be from the TOLM era. Was that recorded at the same concert or another one from the 1988 tour?

Crowded House covering John Mayall's Room to Move ... apparently not the same 1988 gig ... Different outfits, same Brilliance !

Last edited by In2FINN2

Wow, thanks so much for posting this. Brings back many fine memories. Triple M also broadcast this, right? I've got a worn out cassette tape somewhere with the recording on it.

My first ever rock concert was in this era, at Festival Hall in Melbourne.

Some of the tracks also appear on TOLM Deluxe version. This is Massive is definitely from this show.

Fan club released part of the 25/08/88 State Theatre, Sydney concert on the
State of Mind CD.

Add Reply

©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.
Link copied to your clipboard.