Skip to main content

There is always going to be an idiot that can't follow simple rules; I am 'that guy". Sorry in advance for including more than 10.

Listed in almost alphabetical order Roll Eyes

1. All things Finn related. [no explanation necessary]
2. 10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant. [really fell for her voice a long time ago]
3. BareNaked Ladies. [Go Canada!! Funny too]
4. Counting Crows. [listened to "August and Everyting After" like a zillion times]
5. Dave Matthews Band. [no one else likes them?]
6. Five For Fighting. [great pop music]
7. Foo Fighters. [like them better than Dave's old band...Nirvana!! Shocker!!]
8. Goo Goo Dolls. [both ballads and harder stuff]
9. Jason Mraz. [smart song-writer, often funny]
10. Peter Gabriel. [found "So" the same summer I found CH's debut album...fond memories indeed]
11. REM. [love M. Stipe's voice]
12. Snow Patrol. [trying newer stuff and liking it]
13. Shane Nicholson. [if you haven't heard this guy you really should...reminds me of Neil. Another bonus: He is an Aussie!!]

Honorable mention: When I want to hear a woman's voice I listen to Alanis, Michelle Branch, India Arie, Kasey Chambers, Christina Aguliera [gasp!...admit it though, she has got pipes]or Stevie Nicks.
Here goes the impossible...
  • Neil Finn (Including Crowded House & his work in Split Enz & Finn Brothers)
  • The Beatles (This can include Lennon & Harrison's solo work. Okay, and McCartney & Starr's)
  • Phillip Judd (Including Split Enz, The Swingers & Schnell Fenster)
  • A8BA (Yeah well @ least I admit it! Love the hooks!)
  • Tim Finn (Obviously including The Enz with that. And The Brothers)
  • Travis (Massive fan. This band has released more b-sides than regular album tracks!)
  • Presidents of the USA (One of the first bands I really got into, still great)
  • INXS (I suppose this can include Max Q, the Hutchence solo album & the newish JD-fronted album)
  • The Zombies (Nearly Better than the Beatles. And I don't say that often! More underrated than Neil Finn!)
Man that was hard. I left out so many favourites! Here's an image I made up for my MySpace. It pretty much includes all I left out. Take a look if anyone really cares about my music taste

I'm 21 by the way. Do you think my list reflects that? I don't think I have anything on Greatfox though!

EDIT: I'm 22 actually...
Figured I would do this by listing artists/bands I have the most CDs of. This is not in order of preference!

1 - The Beatles - Fave band of all time. Have a lot more vinyl than CDs (collectors stuff y'know)
2 - Crowded House/Neil Finn - All the albums naturally plus heaps of CD singles
3 - INXS - "The Swing" is in my Top 10 all time faves. Once again, lots of CD singles too
4 - Stevie Wonder - But I don't have "Songs In The Key Of Life" on CD yet! (of course, it's on vinyl)
5 - Madonna - Got the majority of her album discography. Guess I'm a huge fan, huh?
6 - 80's Compilations - The more obscure the better. I'm an 80's kid so I've spent a lot of time replacing 7" and 12" singles with CDs. May take a while
7 - Steely Dan - All the albums. This band's music never seems to age.
8 - U2 - Only got half their output on CD. The rest is on vinyl (that's including "The Joshua Tree") plus heaps of CD singles
9 - Groove Armada - Everything including mix albums (some rare ones too). A dance duo that even non-clubheads can easily get into
10 - The Blue Nile - well considering they only have four albums in 25 years, they're easy to collect. Truly brilliant and severely under-rated and appreciated.

There you go. Of course that's just a pinch of my collection and probably not representative of my broad tastes.
quote:
Originally posted by John/WestCoast:
There is always going to be an idiot that can't follow simple rules; I am 'that guy". Sorry in advance for including more than 10.

Listed in almost alphabetical order Roll Eyes

1. All things Finn related. [no explanation necessary]
2. 10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant. [really fell for her voice a long time ago]
3. BareNaked Ladies. [Go Canada!! Funny too]
4. Counting Crows. [listened to "August and Everyting After" like a zillion times]
5. Dave Matthews Band. [no one else likes them?]
6. Five For Fighting. [great pop music]
7. Foo Fighters. [like them better than Dave's old band...Nirvana!! Shocker!!]
8. Goo Goo Dolls. [both ballads and harder stuff]
9. Jason Mraz. [smart song-writer, often funny]
10. Peter Gabriel. [found "So" the same summer I found CH's debut album...fond memories indeed]
11. REM. [love M. Stipe's voice]
12. Snow Patrol. [trying newer stuff and liking it]
13. Shane Nicholson. [if you haven't heard this guy you really should...reminds me of Neil. Another bonus: He is an Aussie!!]


If it were a top 15 or 20, Dave Matthews Band would definitely be in mine! I have 4 of his cds which I really enjoy and actually seen him last May when he was here in Melbourne, GREAT show from an awesome 4th row seat Smiler
Awesome thread - lots of mentions of stuff I don't think I've heard mentioned here before (Jason Mraz, Max Q). Here are my ten

- Finn Brothers (Especially Tim) and all their projects
- INXS
- The Whitlams
- Sarah Blasko
- Elliott Smith
- Andy White
- Wilco (Especially Yankee Hotel Foxtrot)
- U2, But only Achtung Baby and Zooropa. Most of the rest of their stuff does absolutely nothing for me.
- Bob Geldof & The Boomtown Rats (better than you probably think.)
- Bic Runga.
quote:
Originally posted by Secret God™:
Here goes the impossible...
  • Neil Finn (Including Crowded House & his work in Split Enz & Finn Brothers)
  • The Beatles (This can include Lennon & Harrison's solo work. Okay, and McCartney & Starr's)
  • Phillip Judd (Including Split Enz, The Swingers & Schnell Fenster)
  • A8BA (Yeah well @ least I admit it! Love the hooks!)
  • Tim Finn (Obviously including The Enz with that. And The Brothers)
  • Travis (Massive fan. This band has released more b-sides than regular album tracks!)
  • Presidents of the USA (One of the first bands I really got into, still great)
  • INXS (I suppose this can include Max Q, the Hutchence solo album & the newish JD-fronted album)
  • The Zombies (Nearly Better than the Beatles. And I don't say that often! More underrated than Neil Finn!)
Man that was hard. I left out so many favourites! Here's an image I made up for my MySpace. It pretty much includes all I left out. Take a look if anyone really cares about my music taste

I'm 21 by the way. Do you think my list reflects that? I don't think I have anything on Greatfox though!

EDIT: I'm 22 actually...


P.U.S.A...........EXCELLENT!!!

Here's mine (no particular order):

1)Split Enz (and spin-offs)
2)Genesis/Peter Gabriel (Genesis and PG almost singlehandedly formed my musical tastes in my early teens)
3)Presidents of the United States of America
4)Pavement/Stephen Malkmus
5)The Flaming Lips (the evolution of that band boggles my mind)
6)Camper Van Beethoven/Cracker
7)Ben Folds Five/Ben Folds (make me laugh, or make me cry)
8)Nirvana
9)Tripping Daisy/Polyphonic Spree (Tim Delaughter makes me want to dress in white robes)
10)R.E.M. (up to Monster, this band struck me to the core)

That was tough. I could easily add another dozen to that list.
Had to think on this, so hard to choose. in no order:

ac/dc
public image
pink floyd
elvis costello
buzzcocks
abba
talking heads
xtc
crowded house
mana
amr diab

dang, i cheated. i couldn't think who to cut out, though Frowner omg, i forgot incubus...neil young..radiohead..peter gabriel..dang...i can't do this!!

*runs off in a panic*

(ps, caladonia mentioned Oasis, teehee)
*stops running when she hears cried from Double-H*

*turns around, and goes in the direction of the pleas*

*notices Double-H in the hole*

*runs to get a ladder*

Well, Double-H, i know exactly what you mean. It's too hard to limit it to ten especially if you have diverse taste. Like I'm realizing now that i did not even mention my Klezmer collection, or Kodo drumming. I tend to forget the non-pop items, but i love them equally.

Give it a go anyways, and then sneak in other things just like im doing right here, hehehehhehe


hehehehehe

HEHEHEHEHHEEE

Smiler
Kodo... mmm demon drummers from Japan! I think I saw them live in about 1986...

So I will give it a shot, but really there are so many "eras" for me that what is true now was not true 5 years ago. Then again, ignoring what was true 5 years ago doesn't seem right... urrrggg.

I also listen differently, having not replaced my vinyl or cassettes from years gone by... and so much by download rather than CD in the last few years.

The Finn music is one of the few constants through my entire life... Smiler I think that's why I'm here!

Later Zebrasnake, I will ponder! Thanks cutie-pie for the rescue.
Mmm, very hard to pick ten:

  • Split Enz, Crowded House, Tim Finn and Neil Finn solo and together
  • Liam Finn with or without Betchadupa
  • Radiohead
  • Beatles and some of Macca's solo work (love Ram and Chaos and Creations)
  • Wilco
  • Beck
  • Blur, Gorillaz and the Good the bad and the Queen (Damon Albarn stuff)
  • dEUS, a great band from Belgium
  • Daryll Ann + Jelle Paulusma solo, from the Netherlands
  • Elliott Smith

Just outside the top ten is Ryan Adams. He's got great songs but needs to work on his quality control.
Depeche Mode - Without them I would've been someone very different.
Paradise Lost - Made me appreciate non-electronic music in general and gave me a taste for metal.
Sarah McLachlan - I really don't listen to her anymore but her influence on my taste was and is immense.
Pet Shop Boys - Yes, pop can be commercial, intelligent and great at the same time.
David Bowie - David is God.
Darren Hayes - The "The Tension And The Spark" album took me out of the deepest depression I've had this far and unleashed my inner popfan.
Tiamat - Somewhere I'll always be a bit of a goth.
David & The Citizens - For one whirlwind summer they were the only band that mattered.
The Ramones - The best popband ever?
The Pipettes - The band most listened to on my last.fm site.

Let me come back in a year or two and there is a chance CH might find their way into the list somewhere.
quote:
Originally posted by drthirsty:
quote:
Originally posted by Secret God™:
Here goes the impossible...[LIST]
  • ...Presidents of the USA (One of the first bands I really got into, still great)...

  • P.U.S.A...........EXCELLENT!!!

    Here's mine (no particular order):
    ...3)Presidents of the United States of America
    7)Ben Folds Five/Ben Folds (make me laugh, or make me cry)...

    Yeah gotta luv PUSA... new album is amazing!

    Oh why didn't you remind me to add Ben Folds to my list?!? Not really sure why he didn't get a mention 1 year and 10 days ago when I created my list. I would like to officially add him to the list... and take out... um... INXS... there had to be a casualty somewhere
    I was thinking of starting a thread something along the lines of "who else do you like besides the Finns etc" and I see that this thread fits the bill quite well. It's sort of like the way Amazon tells you what else other people bought.
    It's interesting to see the similarities in our lists.
    Mine's
    * NF/CH/Enz
    * Red Hot Chili Peppers
    * Nirvana
    * Foo Fighters (have to see them live before I die)
    * Kate Bush
    * INXS
    * Machine Gun Fellatio
    * David Bowie
    * Alanis Morissette
    * Madonna (more her 80's and 90's stuff than recent)
    I could have added a bunch more, but I'm trying to stick to the rules.
    My list is based on the number of CDs per artist in my collection and the influence of the artist on my music tastes. Many of these artists like the Beatles and Billy Joel are so ingrained into this Summer of Love, Long Island born boy that I don't listen to their albums anymore. Still these artists define my proclivity for melody and angst, melancholy and swing, with lovely, lilting lyrics weaving a literate story.

    Along with The Amazing Finn Family, the following artists are my music collection's buidling blocks:

    The Beatles
    The Beach Boys
    Ben Folds Five
    Billy Joel
    Prefab Sprout
    Elvis Costello
    George and Ira Gershwin
    Dave Brubeck
    Stevie Wonder
    Patsy Cline

    Hon. Mentions: Todd Rundgren, Wilco, The Who, early U2, Traffic/Steve Winwood, Al Green, Squeeze, Jellyfish
    quote:
    Originally posted by Above the Kitchen:
    My list is based on the number of CDs per artist in my collection and the influence of the artist on my music tastes. Many of these artists like the Beatles and Billy Joel are so ingrained into this Summer of Love, Long Island born boy that I don't listen to their albums anymore. Still these artists define my proclivity for melody and angst, melancholy and swing, with lovely, lilting lyrics weaving a literate story.

    Along with The Amazing Finn Family, the following artists are my music collection's buidling blocks:

    The Beatles
    The Beach Boys
    Ben Folds Five
    Billy Joel
    Prefab Sprout
    Elvis Costello
    George and Ira Gershwin
    Dave Brubeck
    Stevie Wonder
    Patsy Cline

    Hon. Mentions: Todd Rundgren, Wilco, The Who, early U2, Traffic/Steve Winwood, Al Green, Squeeze, Jellyfish


    Wow that list is strangely familar... pretty much like my collection more or less! (Note to self: must try to find a decent Patsy Cline CD)

    And extra marks for mentioning the wonderful Jellyfish, Squeeze and Todd Rundgren

    Add Reply

    Post
      All times London, UK.

      ©1998-Eternity, Frenz.com. All post content is the copyrighted work of the person who wrote it. Please don't copy, reproduce, or publish anything you see written here without the author's permission.
    ×
    ×
    ×
    ×
    Link copied to your clipboard.
    ×
    ×